News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

50 Street Widening & CP Rail Grade Separation

Yes, once the northbound overpass opens, they will remove the existing level crossing and build a second overpass for the southbound lanes. The whole project is supposed to be complete in 2026.
Doesn't that seem strange? Couldn't they just have built a 4-lane overpass in 1 shot? Rather then 2 separate ones?

There wasn’t enough room without demolishing the office buildings or expropriating more land. Personally I think they should have just built a four lane bridge to begin with and be done with it. Not sure why we need six lanes on every arterial road in this city…

Yes, once the northbound overpass opens, they will remove the existing level crossing and build a second overpass for the southbound lanes. The whole project is supposed to be complete in 2026.
Thank you, recall reading there will also be pedestrian access from 82nd to 84th avenues under the overpass

There are probably a lot of trucks on 50 Street, justifying the six-lane bridge. 90 Avenue is a truck route detour.

Are there any other areas in the city that would need a grade separation in the future? How often does this type of project happen realistically?

Are there any other areas in the city that would need a grade separation in the future? How often does this type of project happen realistically?
Definitely 75 st south of Argylle Rd. Considering that it's supposed to be a semi-express way that basically crosses the entire city North to South (Fort Rd-Wayne Greztky Dr-75 St- 66st), that at grade crossing is something egregious.
You add to that the existence of Davies Station right to the south of it, and this is a very obvious one, for me.

Honourable mention, 170 Street, north of Yellowhead. Also, railroad bridges at Tamarack/Maple communities.

Definitely 75 st south of Argylle Rd. Considering that it's supposed to be a semi-express way that basically crosses the entire city North to South (Fort Rd-Wayne Greztky Dr-75 St- 66st), that at grade crossing is something egregious.
You add to that the existence of Davies Station right to the south of it, and this is a very obvious one, for me.
I dunno, as a regular but not daily user of that road it seems like the crossing are far less frequent and the trains move through it faster than they do at the 50th street one. I could be wrong though, maybe the time of day I travel through it has less frequent disruptions. I'm not sure its enough of an issue to justify the massive expense and destruction of nearby businesses. I'd rather see the money spent on other transportation projects.

I dunno, as a regular but not daily user of that road it seems like the crossing are far less frequent and the trains move through it faster than they do at the 50th street one. I could be wrong though, maybe the time of day I travel through it has less frequent disruptions. I'm not sure its enough of an issue to justify the massive expense and destruction of nearby businesses. I'd rather see the money spent on other transportation projects.
I'm on the same page as you. On a strict basis of number of cars stopped/delayed by a train on a daily basis, 75th probably does beat out any other at-grade intersection in the city, but after the costs of this project I just don't see the value doing anymore unless it's part of an already large redevelopment of an area/intersection.

Not in Edmonton proper, but I do think the CN ROW on HWY 60 just north of 16A could be done someday (and I'm guessing it might be part of the final twinning of 60 between HWY 16 and Devon), especially since Acheson continues to expand and grow as a strong industrial sector in the metro region. Plus good lord CN runs a lot of trains down that track

Back