News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

2023-26 Edmonton Budget

Northwest LRT seems reasonably important to the network. Hopefully it can go ahead along with some funding from the federal gov't.

I'm hopeful the fast tracking of the bike plan will get the money in the upcoming budget discussions. Edmonton could really establish itself as a leader in North America in how we are designing our city for better sustainability, affordability, public health etc.

Earlier this year another European city ok'd major investment and fast tracking like Paris- this time Milan has approved a $300+ million plan to create a new 750km network of bike paths linking 80% of the city to bike paths, & connect the city to surrounding areas. The goal is to achieve a 20% modal shift to biking by 2035

Screenshot_20220917-090245_Samsung Internet.jpg

Toronto is in an interesting mayor's race right now with one of the challengers promising some major transformational change to their network, too (although incumbent mayor John Tory is likely to win).

Last edited:
More information here

Edmonton's proposed $7.75B capital budget focuses on infrastructure repairs and new projects

Administration recommending council defer the "Touch the Water Promenade" and the Saskatchewan Drive upgrades including the 99 -109 street bike network.

No mention of more funding for Jasper Avenue rehabilitation project, which I think is desperately needed and should certainly be a priority especially as it's was already partially deferred in the previous budget. Let's just get it done already. It's embarrassing to see what it looks like it certain sections (114 - 124th street in particular)

I also think Saskatchewan Drive upgrades should be a priority given how busy both the street and MUPs are. The MUP in particular is very congested and way too narrow to accommodate all of it's uses

I don't mind deferring the Touch the Water Promenade. I think the design us underwhelming and misses the mark, plus I don't think it needs to be a high priority until further residential development is imminent nearby.

Received this from Michael Janz:

As it stands, the proposed fall capital budget is really grim.

💀 Nothing for climate.
☠️ Nothing for active transportation.
💀 Little for public transit.
☠️ Nothing for housing.

Huh? What does “active transportation mean? Public transport doesn’t include 4 billion for lrt? What’s that politician in disguise spinning now?

Received this from Michael Janz:

As it stands, the proposed fall capital budget is really grim.

💀 Nothing for climate.
☠️ Nothing for active transportation.
💀 Little for public transit.
☠️ Nothing for housing.

At this point, I'm taking anything Janz says with a grain of salt.

Huh? What does “active transportation mean?
Active transportation is likely referring primarily to bike lanes ( for bikes, scooters, skateboards, other mobility devices). I think city admin report said $170 million for a good bike network system within the ring road.

Back