News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Misc. Transportation Projects

But why build all of these "bus terminals" for fly-by-night bus companies? It's just going to go out of business soon and/or change it's business model.

Why build an airport to accommodate the fly by night carriers that will eventually go out of business or change their business model.

I said 1 terminal that bus companies all could access, not a bunch of terminals.
But why build all of these "bus terminals" for fly-by-night bus companies? It's just going to go out of business soon and/or change it's business model.

Those prices are crazy. Wow.

But not really helpful if you still have to get Ubers based off drop off points. Is this the correct Calgary drop off? How is this convenient? Am I missing something…

Shouldn’t they terminate downtown?

B5E344B7-05BD-4FAD-B53A-C2306929A664.png

Why build an airport to accommodate the fly by night carriers that will eventually go out of business or change their business model.

I said 1 terminal that bus companies all could access, not a bunch of terminals.
Just spitballing here. I think of the Government Centre bus loop as underused. Could that be redone and opened up as a central terminal?

A centralized bus terminal would be nice, especially if it were connected to ETS bus routes and LRT.
The Edmonton Motors building is mostly empty currently, fairly central and on a good ETS route, so might make a decent temporary bus terminal in the short term.

In the longer run, I feel something should be developed around Government Centre which could also serve as a commuter rail terminal.

Just spitballing here. I think of the Government Centre bus loop as underused. Could that be redone and opened up as a central terminal?
What is the potential for vagrants hanging around a central bus station in Government Centre and who would fund maintenance, security etc. - not Edmonton taxpayers that is for sure. I am thinking back to the old Greyhound Terminal which was the only terminal and the social issues there. Maybe these pick up points are al that is needed given FlixBus seems to think Jasper/115th will serve them for the grab and go service. Lots of cities have FlixBus and similar operators collecting and dropping people off with nothing more than a street sign.

Looks like Roper Road/34st intersection will be opening soon. This will again change traffic patterns in this corner of the city. I wonder how long it will be before 34st and 17st will be connected on Roper Road.

I’m guessing Roper Road to 17 Street isn’t too far away, especially with the industrial development going on. I think extending 51 Avenue east to 17 Street might be the first move. 17 Street will hav to be twinned.

Back