News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

I mean, I don't really expect anyone to be out when it's -20 and below, so I don't think it's as much a dive, but probably more people are just staying inside (using pedways, etc).
Also, a lot of companies have allowed people to work from home during the cold snap (on top of routine WFH)
My experience is that the whole of downtown (including inside buildings and pedways), essentially hollows out during a cold snap. Then livens back up again when it's over. City Centre Mall shows this a lot, I went to City Centre Mall during the cold snap and it was basically a ghost town outside of a few unhoused folks looking for warmth, it's a lot more full (though granted, still not super busy) during warmer weather.

A friend of mine went to West Ed yesterday and said he was surprised how dead it was there and the weather was quite pleasant, if that matters.

With many malls and other retail space too, I think there is a January/February effect for retail, post Christmas people just do not go out shopping as much at this time of the year.

Northern Chicken closing 104st as well on the 15th:(
GFlwmqmacAA1Nar

"In an effort to accelerate the speed of discoveries by U of A researchers and make artificial intelligence skills training more accessible for Edmonton’s burgeoning tech sector, the U of A and Amazon Web Services (AWS) have teamed up to launch Artificial Intelligence Discovery Place." at Enterprise Square.

"In an effort to accelerate the speed of discoveries by U of A researchers and make artificial intelligence skills training more accessible for Edmonton’s burgeoning tech sector, the U of A and Amazon Web Services (AWS) have teamed up to launch Artificial Intelligence Discovery Place." at Enterprise Square.

Hopefully this does something to activate Enterprise Square some more.

Bob Gibbs is an expert in urban retail strategy. I've always wanted Gibbs to come and do some thinking on Edmonton.

Yes, this article has very good ideas. Downtown can offer something suburban malls can't which is a more walkable retail environment. We have a lot of street front space, even some built in the last several years, quite a bit of which sadly is empty right, although it is starting to fill up some now.

As the article says, downtown still remains a destination for many for a variety reasons. So while we may not have or need the huge department stores of the past, there are still people coming downtown regularly. A smaller department store or a mid market chain could do well.

Hopefully this does something to activate Enterprise Square some more.
Do wish they would make better use of their display windows to add more to their street presence. And for the love of god stop just covering them in graphics. Thankfully they've been better about that lately

What a run!

---
Amy Quon closing Chicken For Lunch after 32 years

Feb. 6, 2024 · The Pulse
By Sharon Yeo

Edmonton culinary institution Chicken for Lunch is closing after 32 years of business. The kiosk, located in the food court in Rice Howard Place (formerly Scotia Place), is known for its long line-ups and Amy Quon, its gregarious proprietor. Its last day of business will be Feb. 29.

Quon, whose family also owns and operates The Lingnan (which just celebrated its 75th anniversary in November), decided not to renew the lease ahead of the food court’s planned six-month closure for renovations. Quon also shared that she turned 65 this year and challenges with her knees and hands have slowed her down. By closing Chicken for Lunch, Quon can now work exclusively at The Lingnan.

“Right now I get up at 5am and pick up my staff,” said Quon. “I’m at Chicken for Lunch at seven and I work there until 2:30, and then work at The Lingnan until 10:30. Now, I can come at two. So Amy not retiring, only Chicken for Lunch retiring.”

Quon opened Chicken for Lunch in 1992 when her youngest son was six (her husband, Kinman, was a partner in The Lingnan at the time, but their family did not yet own it outright). “Chicken for Lunch was my first restaurant,” Quon said. “My kids were still young. I wanted a job from Monday to Friday, so after 2pm I can go home and be with my kids. That’s why I chose an office building with short hours.”

I kind of figured the extensive renos would result in some change in Rice Howard Place. The food area already seemed very scaled back from what I remember years ago when I worked in the building.

I don't know how many people Scotia had in the building, but its moving must have also had some impact. I sense some turn over of business happening amongst those that got through COVID.

There are also some interesting new things popping up too in various spots downtown, so hopefully their renos will attract some of them.

Urban Planning Committee talked this morning about bus from Downtown to EIA

Option 1 - $2.5m similar service as 747 route.
Option 2 - $3.5m for 30 minute service.

Admin highlighted that there's a 260,000 hr gap in transit right now and this might not be a priority. Committee accepted this report as information only, no action is being taken at this time.

Last edited:

Admin highlighted that there's a 260,000 hr gap in transit right now and this might not be a priority. Committee accepted this report as information only, no action is being taken at this time.

Option 2, please!

Rather than let the elected leaders deal with what is the priority, this is yet again another example of the administration trying to lead council around by the nose.

Back