News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

So looks like these three bike network expansions will be moving forwards this year.

They can not be serious….

This is it?!

Literally a bunch of 2-4 block missing link shared use paths?? It’s taken 2 years to design this?

It's more like 1 year since budget passed end of 2022, but yeah given 'the bike plan' already existed I was hoping it would be more substantial than a few SUPs.
Hoping they do bigger projects in the coming years, maybe these were just the easy pickings for year 1.

That’s just how these 3 previously funded for design projects will be implemented. This is not ALL of what is being done this year.

They updated that page today with some additional routes, totally 17km

In 2024, approximately 17 kilometres of the network will be completed.
  • 106 Street from Princess Elizabeth Avenue to 118 Avenue
  • Princess Elizabeth Avenue from 103 Street to 106 Street
  • 102 Avenue from 136 Street to 139 Street
  • Fort Road/Manning Drive from Belvedere Way to 153 Avenue
  • 50 Street from 153 Avenue to 162A Avenue
  • 66 Street from 137 Avenue to 153 Avenue
  • 153 Avenue from Griesbach Road to 82 Street
  • 97 Street from 153 Avenue to 160 Avenue
  • 23 Avenue from 50 Street to 85 Street
  • 23 Avenue from 111 Street to 119 Street

Last edited:
That's not bad. Alot of the focus is in the more suburban areas. I like the extension of the Oliverbahn in Glenora, hopefully it ends up integrating well with VLW. The NAIT MUP will be nice. The Fort Rd/Manning MUP will be pretty impactful, and likely quite affordable.

I've been most impressed by the separated lanes in Garneau, and I would like to see a similar implementation through Glenora-Grovenor-Canora-West JP-Meadowlark, terminating at WEM. This would allow for a direct, fully protected connection from DT to WEM.

Last edited:
That's not bad. Alot of the focus is in the more suburban areas. I like the extension of the Oliverbahn in Glenora, hopefully it ends up integrating well with VLW. The NAIT MUP will be nice. The Fort Rd/Manning MUP will be pretty impactful, and likely quite affordable.

I've been most impressed by the separated lanes in Garneau, and I would like to see a similar implementation through Glenora-Grovenor-Canora-West JP-Meadowlark, terminating at WEM. This would allow for a direct, fully protected connection from DT to WEM.
Agreed. West Central desperately needs bike infrastructure and is likely some of the highest potential area for ridership in the city with multiple major high schools, a lot more mixed income than south central areas, and major employment areas like WEM. 110st is such a great route.

I think I’m still a bit disappointed that we aren’t building intersections properly. Maybe that’ll come in announcements next year. But for this big suburban routes, it’s even more important to have safe intersections because drivers are on autopilot vs in urban areas there’s more pedestrians and bikes to be looking for, and slower speeds too.

178st is a death trap. I’ve been hit there once and had over a dozen close calls at this point. If I wasn’t hyper cautious, and just rode like I was legally allowed to, I’d have been hit many more times. SUPs without protected crossings shouldn’t be common anymore.

I'm waiting for those bike paths on 100 Ave from 110 St to the Victoria Promenade.

I'm guessing that isn't going to happen until Oliver neighbourhood renewal starts in 2026 but I would have liked to have seen it prioritized sooner since it's a well used stretch and it's not uncommon to see bikes on sidewalks during this stretch because there is less comfort riding here.

Alas, it is coming though.

Really wish we would get bike share. Love the socials for bike share in Toronto. We need stuff like this here.

1E62F910-346C-4E76-85F6-7BCA8CC8AD10.jpeg

• Critics say some proposed restrictions in a new public spaces bylaw being considered by Edmonton city council are undemocratic, could restrict freedoms, and would disproportionately affect marginalized groups. The bylaw, which council will discuss on Feb. 14, would introduce several new restrictions, including protests without permits of more than 50 people, using voice amplifiers, spitting, and cycling on grass in city parks. Shannon Lohner, with the advocacy group Paths for People, argued that increasing the fine for cycling on the sidewalk from $100 to $250 doesn’t make sense since Edmonton doesn’t have a complete active transportation network. “We’re really just worried about how the impacts of this will be inequitable,” Lohner said.
-taproot

Read the segment "What has the city done over the last year?"

Although the public spaces bylaw as a whole was send back to Administration for refinement etc.
Prior to that we got an amendment passed to allow bicycles and mobility devices on the sidewalk in places where dedicated infrastructure is lacking! Thanks Ashley!

I actually spoke in front of council yesterday specifically about this topic, and Ashley is my councillor. I feel like democracy is working pretty good for me right now! 😉

I had to ride on the sidewalk on 66 St (north side) as I was with my 12 year old and didn't realize there wasn't a shared used path along there.

I realize I've been riding on the road since I was 11 but traffic seemed a lot calmer and safer 30 years ago. Now I don't want to ride on some of these roads (60km/h+ collectors/arterials) if I don't have to. I tried taking up road biking again a couple of years ago and it took one guy who almost ran me off the road to say nah I'm good.

Back