News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Alberta Politics

Bet they're starting to regret cancelling that superlab...
They would never admit it even if they did.

It puts to mind the federal Liberals' cancellation of the federal Conservative government's purchase of military helicopters. The acquisition was portrayed by the Liberals as an unaffordable extravagance during the 1993 election campaign. Over the following years, the military was forced to continue using increasingly rickety and unreliable helicopters. When the point came that a replacement absolutely HAD to be procured, the Liberals went to great lengths to avoid choosing exactly the same helicopter the Conservatives did, so as to avoid being criticized for political grandstanding over what was nevertheless an essential purchase.

EDmonton is hosting carbon capture conference.

Is it moreso about big oil looking for license to increase production such as Suncor and others have announced? Certainly Al Gore, who would love for carbon capture to be successful, thinks so arguing this is the oil industry gaslighting the public.

The UAE says it will increase carbon capture capacity by 500% by 2030 which I guess sounds impressive until you see this chart.

Screenshot_20230913-075636_YouTube.jpg

^

but she and rebecca et al know better that the rest of the world about about everything!

“Smith said she plans to personally attend this year's United Nations Climate Change Conference after former environment minister Sonya Savage led the Alberta delegation last year.””

“This year, Smith will be travelling to the United Arab Emirates with Environment Minister Rebecca Schulz.”

““Together we will prove the doubters and the naysayers wrong. Alberta will not be left behind by the global energy transition,”“

i’ve attended all sorts of conferences over the years but never with the idea that I was going to show everyone else in attendance that i knew better instead of goung to learn as much as i could from everyone else there.

“ “We're giving investors rock-solid confidence that Alberta's fastgrowing petrochemical sector is the right place for their investment dollars,” she said.”

unless, of course, they happen to talk to investors in our solar and wind generation sectors.

Last edited:
^

but she and rebecca et al know better that the rest of the world about about everything!

“Smith said she plans to personally attend this year's United Nations Climate Change Conference after former environment minister Sonya Savage led the Alberta delegation last year.””

“This year, Smith will be travelling to the United Arab Emirates with Environment Minister Rebecca Schulz.”

““Together we will prove the doubters and the naysayers wrong. Alberta will not be left behind by the global energy transition,”“

i’ve attended all sorts of conferences over the years but never with the idea that I was going to show everyone else in attendance that i knew better instead of goung to learn as much as i could from everyone else there.
When elected officials attend international conferences, it's not just to take notes. They are there as representatives of the jurisdiction they represent, in order to network, to promote their city/province/country as a destination for investment and opportunity.

Smith and Schulz are not students. They are not being paid to travel overseas and take seminars so that they can return to Alberta and write essays on what they've learned. They should be using the chance to promote Alberta as part of the global energy transition, and it sounds like they intend to do so.

If Smith didn't promote Alberta and the opportunities here while in the UAE, the same people saying she should be going over there to learn, would be howling that taxpayers got little to no value from her trip.

And yes, @kcantor, you may attend conferences to simply learn and study but you're not an elected official who was recently given another 4 year mandate from the voters to, you know, promote Alberta.

^
fair enough… you make some valid points.

but you still have to ensure that the pitch is credible if you expect people to buy it whether that’s others at the conference or those at home who sent you.

ps it’s been more than 55 years since i attended anything as a student and in that time i’ve done my share of presenting as well as listening and you can’t effectively do one without the other..

"Liberal Indoctrination" is an oft repeated phrase favorite of the "hard right" (Trump and his acolytes -- including Danielle Smith). To me it is an admission of "I have a lazy brain and it really pisses me off when other people use theirs -- please make the liberals go away so I can concentrate on ruling the world." For me the name-calling associated with "Liberal indoctrination" is a badge of honour.

"Liberal Indoctrination" is an oft repeated phrase favorite of the "hard right" (Trump and his acolytes -- including Danielle Smith). To me it is an admission of "I have a lazy brain and it really pisses me off when other people use theirs -- please make the liberals go away so I can concentrate on ruling the world." For me the name-calling associated with "Liberal indoctrination" is a badge of honour.

Back