News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Does this mean they are going to change the actual layout of the baggage collection area as well? Nothing screams I just landed in small town Leduc more than YEG's baggage collection area with the Nisku Ford ads plastered all over. Even smaller airports like Winnipeg, Halifax and Ottawa have much bigger, more sophisticated, well laid out and welcoming baggage areas.

Does this mean they are going to change the actual layout of the baggage collection area as well? Nothing screams I just landed in small town Leduc more than YEG's baggage collection area with the Nisku Ford ads plastered all over. Even smaller airports like Winnipeg, Halifax and Ottawa have much bigger, more sophisticated, well laid out and welcoming baggage areas.
I don't think so. It sounds like more back end upgrades.

The baggage claim area could do with a refresh for sure. I think they could use giant LED screens all along the back wall to showcase Edmonton.

Would Tim Hortons ads be better? However, more seriously I agree, that area seems like a neglected afterthought.

I don't think so. It sounds like more back end upgrades.

The baggage claim area could do with a refresh for sure. I think they could use giant LED screens all along the back wall to showcase Edmonton.

It would be nice given the airport improvement fee we continue to fork out.

I would like to see how that money is utilized.

Honestly it's not worse than some other major airports, such as Terminal 3 at Pearson - their baggage claim area has low ceilings like YEG and is nothing special, but it just has more bagge carousels.

Arrivals level absolutely needs some love but not sure how you expand it too much without a massive project of completely ripping up all the arrival roadway, maybe digging things down a bit. Maybe the doors can be bumped out a little bit to create more space and improve the baggage carrousels.

I think if the LRT (or HSR) is built to the Airport, the entrance will have to be rebuilt. The upper level departures level entrance sometimes has a lot of taxis and cars parked.

I think if the LRT (or HSR) is built to the Airport, the entrance will have to be rebuilt. The upper level departures level entrance sometimes has a lot of taxis and cars parked.
Seems like the Capital Line could be extended to the airport. Especially with all the growth south of the Henday and with the new South Health Centre maybe*** happening if it gets funding. Either way it would make it a lot easier to get to the airport from the city. I recently rode the Capital Line to Century Park and then took the bus to the airport which was fine but it would be much quicker if the train extended down so it makes a lot of sense imo.

I agree with you though, definitely they would have to make some major changes to the airport terminal / entrances if they wanted to get the station anywhere close to the terminal and not requiring a very long walk or shuttle to get to your flight.

Very neat insights. Excited to see what the report look like.

Takeaways are:
  • The huge share of planned travel is leisure vs. business which sort of backs up the narrative around the type of travel we see.
  • What is with the focus on food and beverage. Both for the terminal and airport campus I would say they are already both quite well served in that regard. Yes COVID hurt a few of the establishments in the terminal but I have always found YEG to be well served in that regard but must be off base.
  • Not much mention of transit other than briefly in the commitment discussing curb traffic congestion (which I do think can be a bit of an issue). They also note the cell phone waiting area which I have always maintained isn't very well marked or understood (compared to some I have seen at other airports)

YEG announced the results of their master plan survey.

1679082707567.png

Interesting that the survey asks for more destinations to Europe and the U.S. but YEG's response is "but look at what we have!"

Back