7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Arc Smart Fare System

Currently, I’m at Norquest.
From their FAQ:
  • Go to your MyQuest, where you will see the Arc icon/Activate U-Pass tile. Click on it and follow the instructions to activate or replace your Arc card which will load your U-Pass to your Arc card. Please note, if you’re a returning student who had an activated U-Pass the previous term, your new U-Pass may already be automatically activated for you. Please check the status of your U-Pass in your MyQuest to see if it is active.
  • Once you have completed this process, it could take as little as 15 minutes or as long as a few hours to activate. Once your U-Pass has successfully been added, you can start using your Arc card for transit.

We can only hope Arc gets this popular. Translink released 3000 adult and 2000 concession Compass keychains for $6. The headlights on the train light up when tapped.

0C56FEE8-BF29-4A8E-9D37-29323003983F.jpeg

I waited 2 hours to snag one. The lineup circled Waterfront Station 3 times. I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to get one.

361E70FE-7186-48AF-AD76-068D463742A6.jpeg

I stumbled across this comment the other day. I'm not sure how accurate it actually is, but it's interesting to hear that open payments might come at around the same time as when the other fare groups are brought on. I honestly expected card payments to come in a couple more years, after Arc was around for a while.

Screenshot_20221228-235714_Chrome.jpg

I stumbled across this comment the other day. I'm not sure how accurate it actually is, but it's interesting to hear that open payments might come at around the same time as when the other fare groups are brought on. I honestly expected card payments to come in a couple more years, after Arc was around for a while.
Wow, I didn't realize it was coming so soon. Hopefully we get open payment down here in Calgary soon with our new readers.

While they encourage you to tap off, in reality the compensation fare for most buses within the city is $2.75. The compensation fare is only higher on bus routes that have local and commuter fare options ie. buses that go to/from the suburbs. And I'm 90% certain the compensation fares count towards the daily and monthly cap. If I was on those buses and one of the readers did not work for tap off, I would go to another one or just e-mail Arc right away.

While they encourage you to tap off, in reality the compensation fare for most buses within the city is $2.75. The compensation fare is only higher on bus routes that have local and commuter fare options ie. buses that go to/from the suburbs. And I'm 90% certain the compensation fares count towards the daily and monthly cap. If I was on those buses and one of the readers did not work for tap off, I would go to another one or just e-mail Arc right away.
Ya that was my thinking as well. They're only charging on one time for 90 minutes anyways.

Arc Card article on the Transforming Edmonton blog.

Stupid question for a guy that has a dumb phone, but do you need the physical card? Given that we are in 2023 and this technology is 20 years old, shall I presuppose that any smartphone can download the ARC app and tap with your phone?

Last edited:
Stupid question for a guy that has a dumb phone, but do you need the physical card? Given that we are in 2023 and this technology is 20 years old, shall I presuppose that any smartphone can download the ARC app and tap with your phone?
This is the plan, hopefully it will be rolling out this year.

Back