News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

How long does Simons there really last? Another three years even?

1675368406412.png

This is how I remember the Old Londonderry Mall in the 70's. Does anyone remember the yellow and orange felted walls of the "tunnel / hallway" that ran from to theatre (where Save-On is now) and from where I don't remember?

1996 Aliens - was the last time I was at the theatre......think it closed shortly after.

View attachment 453859
This is how I remember the Old Londonderry Mall in the 70's. Does anyone remember the yellow and orange felted walls of the "tunnel / hallway" that ran from to theatre (where Save-On is now) and from where I don't remember?

1996 Aliens - was the last time I was at the theatre......think it closed shortly after.
Wasn't Eatons where the Save-On is and the theatre was where Winners is now?

There is no northwest corner…northeast corner was woolco, so southwest corner must have been Eatons.

edit: nevermind, I misread the last post…thought we were talking about Eaton’s, not the theatre. Oops. Don’t remember a theatre. We used to go to Westmount theatre, or the one in the west Ed food court, but mostly the 50st cheap theatre that just closed down

Seems like this location would have been a natural for the HBC/Zellers split between mall levels. Zellers as a discount model would have been largely unchallenged here in a mall convenience setting.
I think the Bay gave up on this location a while ago, which is too bad as this mall is nicely renovated and fairly busy, the Bay has a good location in the mall and there are no other malls anywhere close.

Perhaps the Simons on the other end was too much competition for them. If they really can't make a go of it here, it is not a good sign for them in the long run.

The Zellers split would have been a very good idea, but I don't think the people who currently run the Bay are the best. I feel they are just trying to get as much cash out of this tired old cow as possible as they bleed it dry.

One thing that always struck me as odd in North America, in general, is that one thing quite common in malls all around the world is really rare here: movie theatres inside the malls.
You go to any mall in South America, most of Asia and a good chunk of Europe, at least, and movie theatres are a must-have in any mall (and are generally treated as an anchor tenant).
Now, this has some really good implications in terms of food traffic inside the mall, as well as reduce the amount of useless parking space we dedicate to standalone movie theatres such as Cineplex, etc...

I would love to understand why is it that this is so rare in North America.

I think the Bay gave up on this location a while ago, which is too bad as this mall is nicely renovated and fairly busy, the Bay has a good location in the mall and there are no other malls anywhere close.

Perhaps the Simons on the other end was too much competition for them. If they really can't make a go of it here, it is not a good sign for them in the long run.

The Zellers split would have been a very good idea, but I don't think the people who currently run the Bay are the best. I feel they are just trying to get as much cash out of this tired old cow as possible as they bleed it dry.
Yup, Simons is MUCH better than Hudson Bay and actually Canadian-owned and operated as well.

i think the bay has given up on retailing in general, not just on this location. at the ownership level it would seem that they've just been a real estate play and not a retailer for a long time...
frown.gif
:(

This Regency built condo was constructed after the Pearl north of 105 Ave and 123 st I believe.

It is going through major exterior repairs.the entire South side (not pictured here) is all tarped up.
20230205_142318.jpg

Last edited:

Back