The Quarters Hotel and Residences | 280.1m | 80s | Alldritt Land | KENNEDY

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
As I have said over and over the size of this project needs to stay intact because of the extensive footings required -- there will be no change in the scope and scale.

Hospitality loans are going to be a lot easier in 2023 since we’ve been back to normal for almost a year now and it’s proven that tourism is returning. With the proposed Hyatt hotel on Jasper turning into apartments there’s still demand for another hotel on Jasper Ave. I hope when it comes to residences they can design them better than sky residences. Legends condos did a good job and that’s why the Jw and Encore are a lot more bright than stantec. People have that kind of money here it’s just not like Toronto where you buy what’s available and are satisfied. Here people can get something a lot nicer for the same price range. Which means you have to put actual quality in their designs. Im assuming during this waiting time they’ve been watching what’s gone right and what’s gone wrong with these new buildings downtown.

Gene Dub -- architect for Encore -- is actually very good at proportionality for high-rise living spaces. And he has the task of designing Alldritt's Wunderturm so I would expect the condos/apartments/hotel rooms to be very livable.

As I have said over and over the size of this project needs to stay intact because of the extensive footings required -- there will be no change in the scope and scale.
So how deep do you suppose they’ll have to put the support pilons for a 280 meter behemoth? 🤔

You can't dig into bedrock, not even with a diamond pickaxe.
lol. Maybe not dig, but you can anchor a foundation to bedrock in a few different ways. In seriousness not sure if that's the case here.

Considering it's in a slide area and in an area with poor geological integrity, I'm guessing the building will require an extensive piling system. Probably 150 meters deep with each pile 1-1.5 meters wide.

It'll be unprecedented for Edmonton, that's for sure.

Back