The Quarters Hotel and Residences | 280.1m | 80s | Alldritt Land | KENNEDY

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
I think that the Aldritt dig will have to consider the slope stability of the North Saskatchewan River, especially if there old coal mines in proximity to the location. I believe Grierson Hill was dug up to correct for slope stability around 1995.

Here are the mines:
Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 9.08.33 AM.png

Last edited:
Looks like a significant portion of the mines have been remediated, when the Grierson Hill was stabilized.

Hospitality loans are going to be a lot easier in 2023 since we’ve been back to normal for almost a year now and it’s proven that tourism is returning. With the proposed Hyatt hotel on Jasper turning into apartments there’s still demand for another hotel on Jasper Ave. I hope when it comes to residences they can design them better than sky residences. Legends condos did a good job and that’s why the Jw and Encore are a lot more bright than stantec. People have that kind of money here it’s just not like Toronto where you buy what’s available and are satisfied. Here people can get something a lot nicer for the same price range. Which means you have to put actual quality in their designs. Im assuming during this waiting time they’ve been watching what’s gone right and what’s gone wrong with these new buildings downtown.
I think this is correct, there is a market for it here, but it also needs to be done well. Unlike some places, people here are not going to pay premium prices for something that is not.

JW and Stantec have a very good location, but this building would have even better views which would appeal to some. There aren't too many locations available any more with such river valley views.

Reactions: God
I think this is correct, there is a market for it here, but it also needs to be done well. Unlike some places, people here are not going to pay premium prices for something that is not.

JW and Stantec have a very good location, but this building would have even better views which would appeal to some. There aren't too many locations available any more with such river valley views.

Views are great and all, but it is slightly disconnected from the CBD/core... but will play off of the convention centre.

The CN Tower would also be considered 'a bit out of the CBD', same with EPCOR... one of its biggest criticisms. This has less of a base in actuality versus perception due to having to walk outside a couple of blocks in your suit during winter.

But all of this has shifted with Stantec, for Manulife used to the epicentre.

3 blocks away. In other cities, this would still be considered as the very CBD core.
A few blocks away from a big convention centre would seem to make total sense for a hotel. Visitors are not going to be as hung up on perceptions of east of 97 St as a no go zone as locals are.

If there is a condo portion, then walking a few blocks might not be an issue either for people who want to live in a central location with a view. The area currently is more sterile than dangerous.

Not as sterile as you might think if this tower and the adjacent lot church can be built. As per the 3 blocks reference, that is how close this future tower would be from center of our CBD while CV would only be one block away.
Yes, its a conundrum. Development would make the area more attractive, but there is hesitation to develop in the area because it doesn't have much else now.

The more time that passes without any official news, the less hopeful I become that this will actually be built. There has been no movement since a pre-application meeting was held in April 2020 and the land hasn't transferred to Alldritt either. I'm very skeptical at this point.

Back