News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

Not too far now along the highway but, there is a large UofA farm they would have to cut through. I don't expect it to get there anytime soon though. They have a lot of land on the west side to build out first.
In terms of "excess land" St. Albert has a ton of it with the most recent annexation. This is putting upwards pressure on property taxes for sure. I expect focus to be on the west as well to allow some of that northern infrastructure to catch up. Ray Gibbon & Fowler Drive for example.

The signs on the amii building are unlit

20221121_201821.jpg

In terms of "excess land" St. Albert has a ton of it with the most recent annexation. This is putting upwards pressure on property taxes for sure. I expect focus to be on the west as well to allow some of that northern infrastructure to catch up. Ray Gibbon & Fowler Drive for example.
Ray Gibbons Gets another update next year. I don't see Fowler on the boards for a couple of years. But it may be built out slowly with Jensen Lakes being developed. The West side of Ray Gibbons will start to see housing built next year. The deep utilities are pretty much done.

Amit Grover
• 1st
Principal at Avison Young
2h • Edited
The Avison Young Office and Multifamily teams are happy to announce the successful sale of Lumen Christi, an office building with redevelopment potential in the heart of downtown. This 1.03 acre RMU zoned site includes a 47,707 SF office building that will ultimately be retrofitted as a medical facility with an opportunity to utilize excess lands in the near future. The Lumen Christi building transacted at $4,726,000.

Thank you to the Purchaser, Camindya Canada Corporation, and the Vendor, Edmonton Catholic School District, for being great transaction partners.

For more information on this transaction or any others, feel free to contact either of our teams.

Interesting if they retrofit that building. Last time I was in there it seemed pretty old and cramped. Sorta reminded me of the old UofA hospital where the Mazenkowski is now.

Amit Grover
• 1st
Principal at Avison Young
2h • Edited
The Avison Young Office and Multifamily teams are happy to announce the successful sale of Lumen Christi, an office building with redevelopment potential in the heart of downtown. This 1.03 acre RMU zoned site includes a 47,707 SF office building that will ultimately be retrofitted as a medical facility with an opportunity to utilize excess lands in the near future. The Lumen Christi building transacted at $4,726,000.

Do we really need another medical facility?

Depends what it is... could bring traffic, employees, activity to the area, but this is too vague.

Do we really need another medical facility?
Medical facilities will get leased and bring plenty of high quality jobs to an area where transit is more convenient than driving. The more well compensated (read: politically influential) folks take public transit, the harder it is to neglect it. We don't have all the downtown office workers Calgary does, so we need to get a little creative sometimes.

Most nursing students don't drive when they graduate. Having a higher % of healthcare jobs in the core vs suburban hospitals => it's easier for healthcare workers to live a low-carbon urbanist lifestyle => lower attrition to the SUV driving suburban lifestyle.

Depends what it is... could bring traffic, employees, activity to the area, but this is too vague.
As our population gets older, there is continuing demand for more medical related facilities. This building is in a central area that is fairly walkable, so if it can add to the services available for nearby residents that is good too.

Another bonus, would be retrofitting and possibly upgrading this older building, which probably needs it. It has some parking, so that might be part of the appeal for a medical facility. Central standalone locations with this amount of parking are not common.

However, I agree the description and information at this point is vague. It has potential to be a good thing, but how well it works out will depend on the details.

Anyone have any insight to why the 7-11's downtown are closing? The one in the Jaffer building, on 109st, and now the one in the Ultima has closed in the last year or so.

Ray Gibbons Gets another update next year. I don't see Fowler on the boards for a couple of years. But it may be built out slowly with Jensen Lakes being developed. The West side of Ray Gibbons will start to see housing built next year. The deep utilities are pretty much done.
The Edmonton land or are you referring to St.Alberta or the MD Sturgeon?

Anyone have any insight to why the 7-11's downtown are closing? The one in the Jaffer building, on 109st, and now the one in the Ultima has closed in the last year or so.
I was actually just thinking about that, as I went by the one of the closed 7-11's today. It's not the only reason, but two words - Shoppers Drug.

I was actually just thinking about that, as I went by the one of the closed 7-11's today. It's not the only reason, but two words - Shoppers Drug.
Although SDM shouldn't be the only reason, can it? I live near millbourne mall in Millwoods and it has a SDM and in the same parking lot where there is also a Circle K. SDM has lots of stuff at better prices, but if someone needs something at 2 in the morning Circle K is where they go.

No, not the only reason. I suspect the new Loblaws is also part of the reason for the one in the Ultima. The 2 in the morning traffic downtown is probably not enough for these locations so losing some of the daytime/early evening business along with downtown being generally less busy due to some people still working at home were likely also factors.

However, I do think there is a gap now with all these downtown 7-11 closings so some convenience store will appear to fill it, although perhaps not quite as close to Loblaws or Shoppers. There is a long vacant spot on 106 and Jasper (Energy Square) that I think might work. Also, I believe there still is a Circle K on 104 St and 99 Ave and an AM/PM that opened on 109 St, I am not sure what its hours are.

Back