News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Downtown

The city as actually made great strides in making downtown more attractive for people to live and play but it’s also had setbacks, some manufactured, that stifle development. Confusing parking restrictions, high rent costs (relative to the suburbs, not other downtowns), age and incomes of downtown residents, downtown crime, and a shortage of mixed use development, all have factored in to why things like arcades don’t move in.

I think not having a downtown Rec room as an example, is a huge missed opportunity, but I suspect they looked at ice district, saw the price per square foot, and felt risk adverse.

It’s quite a conundrum, but I think we should feel accomplishment for the gains the city has made since the late 2000s in such a short time. It’s only fair considering how critical we are of the blunders we see.
I agree it has come a long way in many respects. There is a lot of underutilized street level space or pedway level that should be activated, in my opinion. Even if the City leased all of its pedway/LRT station space out for $1, on the condition that the space be actively used for retail or restaurant or entertainment, that would help contribute to the critical mass, which is currently lacking.

I agree it has come a long way in many respects. There is a lot of underutilized street level space or pedway level that should be activated, in my opinion. Even if the City leased all of its pedway/LRT station space out for $1, on the condition that the space be actively used for retail or restaurant or entertainment, that would help contribute to the critical mass, which is currently lacking.
I dig it man. Imagine LRT stations becoming a gathering spot for the community in the winter.

And I’m not talking about how they currently are used.

It's a shame that the Bay LRT innovation centre didn't get across the finish line; it was a great opportunity for 'eyes on the street' and would have brought a different 'big city' feeling to that area.

Central also very much misses Burrow.

It's remarkable that the entire second floor wing is still unused to this day; I am not sure it will ever be due to accessibility/code requirements.

A very, very quick day trip up.

-Nice to see Jack's Burgershack packed at lunch; the BBQ Crunch still kills it.

-104 Street seemed 'normal' again

-Still disappointed to not see plantings in the Bay LRT planters:(

-Sat in Beaverhills with a buddy at a picnic table (last one avail). We were politely asked for change by a nice young man, but there was another person hovering over folks which was not cool; how to cops not deal with the dealers who were blatantly selling at the alley entrance

-Lock Stock full up and wonderful to enjoy for a minute or two

-Nice to see El Furniture open; still hate the exterior 'renos'

-Del Posto with a nice street side patio

-The Marc was busy for lunch

-Still nothing for Augustana's CRU???

Mural Massive Block Party at Alex Decoteau Park Saturday, 12-9pm including headliner The Royal Foundry, beer gardens, live mural painting and free corn by DECL

The main escalator at Commerce Place is still walled off. Even though the signs say it will reopen this summer, that season is all but over. At the rate things are going, the escalator likely won't reopen until the new year.

Coming soon to the Bell Annex

20220915_120317.jpg

Join the Edmonton Downtown Business Association for our inaugural ‘Imagining Downtown’ gathering over lunch at the JW Marriott Edmonton, with support from the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce.

The event will feature a panel discussion between Puneeta McBryan, Executive Director of the EDBA and visionary downtown leaders and thinkers from across Canada who will bring reflections and advice about the greatest challenges, strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities we’re facing in Downtown Edmonton. In addition to bringing their own valuable experience and perspectives from their own cities, prior to the event the panelists will spend a day with local leaders walking, observing, learning and imagining what’s ahead of us in Edmonton.

Attendees will leave the event full of insights about what downtowns across Canada are facing and what tools and ideas are out there to address them, and inspiration about what’s possible for Edmonton’s downtown if we make the right decisions and the right investments at this critical inflection point.

Panelists

Kate Fenske, CEO - Downtown Winnipeg BIZ

Nolan Marshall, President & CEO - Downtown Vancouver BIA

Michael Emory, CEO - Allied Properties REIT & Board Chair - Toronto Downtown West BIA

Panelist Sponsor: Edmonton International Airport

Hospitality Sponsor: JW Marriott

Gretzky Ballroom, doors open at 10:30 am *

Event begins at 11:00 am

* Seating will not be assigned unless a table is purchased

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/imagining-downtown-through-fresh-eyes-tickets-411414871957

The main escalator at Commerce Place is still walled off. Even though the signs say it will reopen this summer, that season is all but over. At the rate things are going, the escalator likely won't reopen until the new year.
through various contacts i am aware of a number of projects here, in vancouver, in singapore and in london (uk) where elevator and escalator component delivery is 6-12 months later than promised. it’s supply chain issues, not the owner. that industry demands - and gets - 50-75% of the contract value on signing the contract. there is no incentive or benefit for the owner to prolonging work they’ve already paid for and nothing they can do but wait.

Back