News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

High Level Bridge

Requirements for upgraded/new High Level Bridge:
• 2 lanes of traffic both ways (4 total). Additional lane added to Walterdale Bridge (4 total) and converted to two-way traffic.
• Radial railway tracks, bike path and sidewalk installed on upgraded/new High Level Bridge.

Any option that does not satisfy the requirements above should not be considered.
I'd say it needs to be a triple-decker with 6 lanes total, two being bus lanes for a BRT going down 109 st, rail infrastructure for LRT in one deck and for HSR on the other

No second bridge please thank you. Make this one more efficient, improve the opportunities for the street cars to be used more regularly or a non-historic car or two for winter and let's get the gondola going to provide a more sustainable, fun and diverse way to access that corridor.

No second bridge please thank you. Make this one more efficient, improve the opportunities for the street cars to be used more regularly or a non-historic car or two for winter and let's get the gondola going to provide a more sustainable, fun and diverse way to access that corridor.
Yes second bridge, please and thank you.
As much as I love all that you said, having a bridge that can sustain actual rail on it, as well as other infrastructure for transit (dedicated bus lanes to go up and down 109 St would be a start) and help preserve the existing bridge, all at the same time, is a no-brainer.

Being involved in the Prairie Sky project I have more interest than most in seeing it succeed, but it will never be a replacement for the High Level and should not be thought as though it could.

My only concern is the strength of the bridge. Even with the repairs, how strong are the 110-year-old bridge supports? Also, how much more traffic can the HLB take? I think the proposed HSR might need a different route.

Imagine they had never replaced the Port Mann Bridge. Or Golden Ears.

I’m sorry to say but saving this bridge as anything more than a landmark is a mistake, and will put serious constraints on future transit and infrastructure development entering and exiting the core.

Saving the High Level seems like a decision based on past bad decisions of not saving historic architecture. A bridge however, is a different type of story.

Imagine they had never replaced the Port Mann Bridge. Or Golden Ears.

I’m sorry to say but saving this bridge as anything more than a landmark is a mistake, and will put serious constraints on future transit and infrastructure development entering and exiting the core.

Saving the High Level seems like a decision based on past bad decisions of not saving historic architecture. A bridge however, is a different type of story.
While I agree with your analysis of the constraints the high level puts on transit, I'm not sure I agree with your overall analysis. Golden Ears replaced a little-loved ferry (though I quite appreciated it) and no one loved the Port Mann - it had no municipal status.

I would compare the High Level for Edmonton more with the Lion's Gate for Vancouver in terms of municipal feeling. Imagine the furor that would erupt if replacing that bridge were proposed. Sometimes a bridge is more than just a bridge.

From the whispers I’ve heard, repairing this bridge is less preserving historic architecture and more of kicking the can down the road. Although the high level has some history I think people should read up on and have basic knowledge about. It doesn’t really hold value to a lot of Edmontonians as much as people want it to. The new Walterdale means a lot more I’d say. Perhaps it was the removal of the waterfall that just kinda made it just your average bridge to the average person. Edmonton will be hosting the World Cup in 2026. This’ll put the worlds eyes on the entirety of the city. Every drone shot and camera click will matter. As much as it tastes bitter on its way out, the Highlevel isn’t a bridge people give a shit or will give a shit about. There’s plenty of history I think we definitely need to preserve. However, the high level ain’t it pal. With the new mcdougal bridge, warehouse park, gondola, walterdale and ice district plus maybe aldritt. Edmonton will look like an entire different city. Although we have a very “own your own home” culture here. It’s almost the exact opposite in a lot of places where people will be visiting from. Our Downtown will be the main focus with the river valley being the main sell point of our city. Our city needs international appreciation like Calgary has, and with that comes very well done architecture that stands out and is remembered. The high level isn’t a bridge that will be remembered by a lot of people who will visit. We need a Walterdale level design. Having two magnificent bridges in a drone shot with the city skyline behind will be an image that would be imbedded in peoples minds. I love the high level and have countless memories as a child watching Canada day fireworks while on my dads shoulders but imo it’s time.

From the whispers I’ve heard, repairing this bridge is less preserving historic architecture and more of kicking the can down the road. Although the high level has some history I think people should read up on and have basic knowledge about. It doesn’t really hold value to a lot of Edmontonians as much as people want it to. The new Walterdale means a lot more I’d say. Perhaps it was the removal of the waterfall that just kinda made it just your average bridge to the average person. Edmonton will be hosting the World Cup in 2026. This’ll put the worlds eyes on the entirety of the city. Every drone shot and camera click will matter. As much as it tastes bitter on its way out, the Highlevel isn’t a bridge people give a shit or will give a shit about. There’s plenty of history I think we definitely need to preserve. However, the high level ain’t it pal. With the new mcdougal bridge, warehouse park, gondola, walterdale and ice district plus maybe aldritt. Edmonton will look like an entire different city. Although we have a very “own your own home” culture here. It’s almost the exact opposite in a lot of places where people will be visiting from. Our Downtown will be the main focus with the river valley being the main sell point of our city. Our city needs international appreciation like Calgary has, and with that comes very well done architecture that stands out and is remembered. The high level isn’t a bridge that will be remembered by a lot of people who will visit. We need a Walterdale level design. Having two magnificent bridges in a drone shot with the city skyline behind will be an image that would be imbedded in peoples minds. I love the high level and have countless memories as a child watching Canada day fireworks while on my dads shoulders but imo it’s time.
One small correction: three magnificent bridges. The Tawatinä is also a gem.

Wow, there is no god.

Bridges last hundreds of years, hundreds...
We could use another multi-use crossing, yup, but what devil would talk of removing our bridge for our world is undone.
I'd still vote to keep the High Level as a park/leisure bridge, with the Highline Park and ERRS on it, and the new one with state-of-the-art rail, bike and car infrastructure to last for another couple of centuries.

Back