University Commons | ?m | 7s | U of A | GEC

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Some shots from today. Not pictured is the new connection with SAB currently under construction — it looks to be a two storey link.
Dent Pharm Tower.jpg
Dent Pharm Entrance.jpg
Dent:Pharm Detail.jpg
Dent Pharm.jpg

And to think 10 years ago I spend two weird days walking around that building and most of the medical research labs on campus dropping off funding plaques on behalf of a research project. Also the reason why I fully support nuclear power since that building contained an operating reactor for decades under everyones feet without anyone noticing. I only found out because I nearly walked into the reactor room dropping those slabs of granite and plastic off! Gotta love CANDU slowpoke tech that is so safe and boring that you don't even know it exists.

^ Agreed... maybe for cheaper landscape maintenance costs? U of A is usually pretty good at preserving as much greenspace on campus as possible.

This was always a service road, has the building gone out to the sidewalk, necessitating a wider sidewalk on the other side?

Looking at a satellite view from 2017, it looks like some green space got 'reclaimed' in a way; it was just extra pavement for parking before this. Come to think of it, I recall cutting across the pavement when walking from the bus loop to Tory or Rutherford (both north of the bus loop), because the sidewalk on the left was just way too inconveniently placed by cutting in to the left to make room for parking. If I was going to Tory instead of the library, I wouldn't even bother going to the sidewalk on the right; I'd just stick to the road until I reached the sidewalk at the end. This'll be a lot nicer, and it makes sense (imo) given that they want Dent/Pharm to become a major administrative/student hub.

Unfortunately, they also took down some mature trees.
DentPharm.PNG

Back