News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.1K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.3K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

132 Ave Renewal

Wow this is a pretty great design. Given the two options between orange and purple, the purple seems like a compromised/cut down version of the orange one (less landscaping/trees, more road space for parking). Would also like to see roundabouts over the signalized intersections. Glad for the opportunity to give my two cents on the survey, hopefully they don't receive too much negative feedback on this. This is such a great step forward.

Only thing I would have maybe liked to see is a dedicated bus lane if there was enough space, but that might be asking for too much and would probably receive a lot more pushback from people.

more road space for parking
I don't know if this goes for all of the orange and purple options or not, but I noticed that at least some orange options have more parking space than their purple counterparts, but it's on 132nd ave instead of a separate service road. So purple adds more pavement but gives less space.

Welcome to the forum by the way! Feel free to introduce yourself in the thread we have in the general section :)

Wait until you hear about the costs of a car dependent city. Projects like this move us closer to the necessary future we're pursuing.
I already know about the costs of a car dependant city. I hope wide open spaces and suburban sprawl are not part of the future no matter what mode of transport is used.

I already know about the costs of a car dependant city. I hope wide open spaces and suburban sprawl are not part of the future no matter what mode of transport is used.
Well if you don't like sprawl I'm surprised you're concerned about creating space for walking and biking on this road. I think major streets like this throughout our city need to be redesigned.

Only thing I would have maybe liked to see is a dedicated bus lane if there was enough space, but that might be asking for too much and would probably receive a lot more pushback from people.
A bus lane will have more support from parents+commuters (they care about traffic flow) but less support from homeowners directly on 132 (who care about aesthetics, noise, parking). As much as I like the design, I do worry that busses will end up getting stuck in the traffic.

Well if you don't like sprawl I'm surprised you're concerned about creating space for walking and biking on this road. I think major streets like this throughout our city need to be redesigned.
I would love it if 95 St between Jasper and 118 Ave got this kind of treatment. It's wide enough to handle cars, parking, and cycling lanes (there's also plenty of parking options on adjacent roads). I also think it would open a quick and direct route downtown for commuting cyclists from the northeast, and would likely prove to be more welcoming than 96 St. I think it would also further enliven the street through Little Italy. Routing cyclists through the east end of downtown might be a challenge but it would result in more eyes on the road. Just one place I can think of.

Finally, some creative traffic engineering/planning. Maybe there is hope after all.
I wouldn't call it creative, but I am definitely very happy to see this suggested for Edmonton! If it's built, you'll see me doing laps around that roundabout on my Omafiets (only when it's not tremendously disruptive to others, of course).

Perhaps more so than in other parts of the world, but bike-focused infrastructure has not been the norm until only around the 1970s when there was a focused effort to do so. Here's a BBC article with an overview of that progress:

There have been some really fun comparison photos lately of Amsterdam, Utrecht, and The Hague modernizing its car-focused infrastructure to be more bike-friendly. Here's an example of one I biked through quite often while I was there (going to the beach). Note how much more protected biking is in the second photo, and how cyclists have right of way (the little triangles are "shark teeth" yield signs).

View attachment 268809(Source)
And here's another example of a street in Utrecht transforming to what are called a "woonerf", or "living street", where "Cars are guests".
View attachment 268810 (Source)

This is an article specifically about how in 1975, advocates for biking infrastructure convinced a Minister to create some demonstration bike paths in urban The Hague, one about restoring a ring road in Utrecht to a moat that started in the early 2000s, and here's the page with all of the "Before and After" comparisons on the BicycleDutch blog. More recently, all the cities there have started to build more bike parking, and both urban and rural bike highways.

Again, obviously they have a different environment and context than us here. Climate change has meant that snow barely falls and rarely stays more than a few hours anymore and the canals no longer freeze for the famous skating races. Still, they show that biking and pedestrian infrastructure do not simply emerge, but are deliberately planned.

No negative voices at the first live session (west of 97 St) Seems like everyone loves the draft design! Overall preference is leaning very heavily towards option Orange - too many trees and too much greenery has to be dropped to accommodate the service roads.

Roundabout vs signalized intersection feedback is mixed, slightly favoring the roundabout.

Last edited:

Project Update - February 2022​

Thank you to everyone who engaged with us during the Community Feedback on Draft Design stage of the project.

Online sessions were held from January 19 - February 3 and the online survey closed on February 18, 2022 and we appreciate everyone who took the time to provide their feedback through the survey, emails and phone calls with the project team.

The project team will review all of the feedback provided, along with technical information and City policies and programs, for consideration in the development of the final design, which will be shared in the fall 2022.

View Project Information​

Draft Design Information Booklet

Project Overview Video
This video demonstrates where we’ve come from and where we are currently at in the 132 Avenue Renewal Project.

Cost-sharing Opportunities
An opportunity for decorative street light upgrades.

The what we heard report is out Overall, it looks like the proposed changes were largely well received, the orange options are more popular (or less disliked) across the board than their purple counterparts, and there was slightly more support for the intersection than the roundabout, but the difference was not as large as I expected.

Last edited:
The final design is out... and the roundabout is the winner!!

Rendering.PNG

The survey closes October 13, 2022.

Back