News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

132 Ave Renewal

TAS

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hello Gorgeous!

Screenshot_20220115-183412_Instagram.jpg

This is a proposed option for 90 Street and 132 Avenue. Yes, this is Edmonton! There are several schools along 132ave in this area including Queen E and O'Leary High Schools (I'm a Spartans grad!) So providing safe active transportation options like this znd traffic calming is right on the money.

More cool plans located here regarding 132 Ave renewal:

Last edited:
Hello Gorgeous!

This is a proposed option for 90 Street and 132 Avenue. Yes, this is Edmonton! There are several schools along 132ave in this area including Queen E and O'Leary High Schools (I'm a Spartans grad!) So providing safe active transportation options like this znd traffic calming is right on the money.

Seems the road capacity is being halved by strangulation... from 2 lanes in each direction to 1. I don't see how the cutesy calming traffic circle ... squares with the reality that traffic will be pushed onto side streets since volume is being reduced by half and drivers will be forced to play whack- a- mole bicyclist whilst trying to contain road rage. Interesting to note that the drawing shows 2 bicyclist signs in one lane of traffic - 17 marked spaces to enter and exit the circle with an extra lane marker on the left one depicted. This looks like a movie setup: 4 cars, 17 cyclists. Go!!

Seems the road capacity is being halved by strangulation... from 2 lanes in each direction to 1. I don't see how the cutesy calming traffic circle ... squares with the reality that traffic will be pushed onto side streets since volume is being reduced by half and drivers will be forced to play whack- a- mole bicyclist whilst trying to contain road rage. Interesting to note that the drawing shows 2 bicyclist signs in one lane of traffic - 17 marked spaces to enter and exit the circle with an extra lane marker on the left one depicted. This looks like a movie setup: 4 cars, 17 cyclists. Go!!
This is a pretty misinformed comment. If this is too confusing to drive, might be time to hand in the license... 🤷‍♂️

There's literally 4 places in each direction that a car can enter or exit... idk what 17 you're referencing ?

Also, strangulation? Ok 👌 #waroncars hey?

Love this roundabout option over a regular signaled intersection. I hope they go for this option.

I've never seen a bicycle (included) roundabout, so cool.

I think that was what EdmTrekker has mistaken is that there are not 2 bike signs in one lane - the 17 (or so) green-colored bike signs are the bike roundabout markings, similar to the white strip markings for the pedestrian crossing.

I think traffic of all sorts should flow much better with this configuration.

Hello Gorgeous!

View attachment 374986

Wow, did the city hired dutch planners or someting?!? This is so radical for Edmonton. I am so shocked...but sorry WHAT?!?! Not sure what NIMBYs will say about this though. Hope the final version won't be too watered down. LETS BUILT THIS.

If there is anything that could do with a little value engineering, this would be it. How much will it cost to plant those gardens every year, are volunteers going to do that? The garden in the middle should just be grass with a tree in the middle. I hope the foot and bike traffic is busy enough to account for 40% of the total paved surface area dedicated towards them (the Netherlands have over 10x the traffic). What will the maintenance budget for the roundabout be like 10 years from now? This is being proposed for a location that isn't even prominent within the city.

Don't fool yourself, you still have to maintain perennial gardens remove weeds and garbage etc., lawns are everywhere and we already have the equipment to maintain them. Perhaps the community in the area will set up a homeowners association to deal with the gardens.

When it comes to plants and planting @itom987 I seldom get "fooled" -- I am a certified Master Gardener and my wife is a Landscape Architect. Lawns require large amounts of water and they also need to be weeded and have debris removed; Native perennials on the other hand -- if properly specified and selected -- need no managing from a watering perspective and do not have to be replanted annually.
IMG_9956.jpg

There are three different kinds of plants in the rendering, green, white and purple, and they are all the same size. Which perennials would you choose?

Hello Gorgeous!

View attachment 374986

Love it! Let's get it in more places around the city.

@itom987 I am sure that the renderings are meant to be illustrative and not plant-specific. There are literally hundreds of appropriately sized shrubs and bed-plants to choose from so I am not looking to do that on my time budget -- color variation can come from stems (e.g. Dogwood -- Cornus sericea), from leaves (e.g. Indian Paintbrush -- Castilleja spp. -- yellow, red and pink), and from flowers (e.g. Pearl Yarrow -- large white flowers). Here are links for the plants that I mentioned -- stems: https://www.cornhillnursery.com/New Retail/Ornamental Shrubs/Cornus Sericea.html -- leaves: https://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/forb/casses/all.html -- flowers: https://seedcorner.com/yarrow-pearl-achillea-ptarmica-seeds/

I am not an expert gardener, but I do know that of the hundreds of plants to choose from only a few will live and thrive in the salty soils alongside a road. I think we would already have them by now if it was easy to do.
I'm not against the idea of gardens, I like them very much. If they can make it financially worthwhile, go for it!

Back