News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Rossdale

It may be 'hard' as in time-consuming and having to deal with multiple levels of goverment, but the cards are literally stacked in our favour. This is a winnable project.

"In a Global Edmonton viewer poll, 62% of voters are in favour of the concept, while 38% oppose the idea." - from the article cited by IanO on post #38.

I grew up in Ottawa and loved the canal, purposefully explored San Antonio's two years ago and still was not a believer when I sat around the table of those wanting to convince a larger group.

This has probably been brought up before, but my one extreme wish for Rossdale is that it needs an Urban Canal (lol) that ties in to "Touch" The Water Promenade/Funicular Pathway/Gondola.
Use cases for all seasons.
Skating/biking/walking amenity.
Developments tied in to the area.
Zone to allow for patios of all sizes.
Tree lined pathways.
Small bridges (feel the romance).
Small boats allowed
Locks for access to N. Sask.

I agree, this is doable.

I grew up in Ottawa and loved the canal, purposefully explored San Antonio's two years ago and still was not a believer when I sat around the table of those wanting to convince a larger group.
I lived in Ottawa for a few years, and while the Rideau is great for walking near and skating on, Colonel By runs along most of it, and it obviously wasn't designed as something to develop around, which is why I think a purpose built Canal/Weir/Waterway/Waterthing to develop around would make Rossdale more of a destination (imagine if GenZ Instagram had Rossdale Canal instead of Manchester Square, amirite???). Which is definitely a very subjective vision for the area lol, but we gotta be more imaginative in Rossdale than JUST rowhouses and mixed-use density.

I do feel like environmental and Indigenous Land consultations probably factor in heavily against a project like this, which we should 100% consider and which is maybe why this idea would never come to fruition.

I was hoping if I wish hard enough, maybe we can fall somewhere amongst the stars and get some pond/stream/water fountain type thing lol.

Stopped by the East Village today and was reminded how West Rossdale/Rossdale Powerplant could become something of a fantastic community and should take some of its lead from this.
img_0759-jpg.323661

img_0760-jpg.323662

my own

I hope not!
i think sometimes the desire to see here what has been done elsewhere is simply because, no matter what it is, they managed to finish it where we never seem to finish anything before rushing off to chase the next shiny penny that will supposedly fix all that’s wrong.

A planning application has been received to amend the Rossdale Area Redevelopment Plan.

The application also proposes to rezone the following properties in the Rossdale neighbourhood: 9507, 9511, 9519, 9523, 9527 and 9533 105 Street NW; 9804 107 Street NW; 9530 104 Street NW; and 10155 96 Avenue NW.

About the Application​

The current zoning for the properties is Metropolitan Recreation Zone (A), Direct Development Control Provision (DC1), and Public Utility Zone (PU).

The proposed zoning is for Metropolitan Recreation Zone (A), Alternative Jurisdiction Zone (AJ), River Valley Activity Node Zone (AN), Public Parks Zone (AP), and Direct Development Control Provision (DC1).

The proposed rezoning and associated amendment to the Rossdale Area Redevelopment Plan (ARP) are intended to support the implementation of the River Crossing Business Plan.

Council Public Hearing Date: Wednesday June 23, 2021

Reference File Number: LDA20-0434

Planner: Email Andrew Sherstone or call 780-442-0699

Clark Builders
Clark Builders19,988 followers1h • 1 hour ago

Clark Builders is proud to announce that our Special Projects division has been awarded another Edmonton heritage building project: the Rossdale Power Plant Roof Replacement Project!

This project will be completed collaboratively alongside the City of Edmonton, EPCOR, Alberta Government Heritage Conservation, Ministry of Culture, and the Status of Women.

We are going to be replacing more than 2500 square meters of roofing, making structural repairs, installing new guardrails and maintenance access to the roof, and completing selected masonry restoration and window rehabilitation.

Clark Builders will also be continuing our commitment to sustainable practices in order to maintain the heritage of the building!

Architect: MBAC, Structural Eng: RJC Engineering, Mechanical Eng: WEC

Back