News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Downtown Real Estate

A might fit the bill, for we don't really have AAA space.... and so AAA = AA and AA = A vis a vis.

I know of 3-4 new tower proposals on some very interesting lots... with most currently surface only spaces...

If all of this is true, I would imagine that Darryl Katz would be on this like stink on a skunk and proposing a Phase II solution with direct tie-ins to the Arena (never mind the "district" part) and to a premier class hotel and with the potential of a very visible 101Street and 104th Avenue Main branch ground-floor location. He could also offer an architectural gem of a building. From a bank perspective, all other locations in Edmonton fade in comparison. I could see Katz making concessions that would tie in future construction financing options and pedway connections not only to the arena and the hotel, but also to Epcor tower. At 10,000 sq.ft. useable space per floor that would already equate to a 26 storey tower and with a 75% occupancy conversion would add an additional 9 storeys of office space and, (thinking off the cuff) if it was a mixed use tower with a residential component could easily underwrite a tower in the 50+ storey range -- potentially Edmonton's second tallest tower in the short run (and third if Alldritt's building is in the mix). Just sayin'!

If all of this is true, I would imagine that Darryl Katz would be on this like stink on a skunk and proposing a Phase II solution with direct tie-ins to the Arena (never mind the "district" part) and to a premier class hotel and with the potential of a very visible 101Street and 104th Avenue Main branch ground-floor location. He could also offer an architectural gem of a building. From a bank perspective, all other locations in Edmonton fade in comparison. I could see Katz making concessions that would tie in future construction financing options and pedway connections not only to the arena and the hotel, but also to Epcor tower. At 10,000 sq.ft. useable space per floor that would already equate to a 26 storey tower and with a 75% occupancy conversion would add an additional 9 storeys of office space and, (thinking off the cuff) if it was a mixed use tower with a residential component could easily underwrite a tower in the 50+ storey range -- potentially Edmonton's second tallest tower in the short run (and third if Alldritt's building is in the mix). Just sayin'!
I like that dream as well, though who knows if ICE District 2.0 will ever see the light of day after COVID has run its course.

^^^^ The days are getting longer, that's true; and the office market is becoming depressed for the common user -- that's also true. But, whenever there is a user looking for contiguous space in the range projected by the foregoing posts it suggests an office tower has to get built somewhere. Banks like to locate their head offices in the core financial district for obvious reasons -- the most important of which is accessibility by institutional clients. Canadian Western has positioned itself as a growth entity with an Edmonton Head Office. Edmonton is a very smart choice for them if the City continues to be one of the faster growing entities in one of the faster growing Provinces with a hinterland that is barely tapped at present and has HUGE future potential in the Hydrogen economy (production and industrial side), the forestry side (Cross-Laminated Timber), agricultural products (grains and meats), ethno-aboriginal tourism, and light industrial manufacturing -- in short a broad-based economy that has a great deal of room to grow in all sectors. This would be enhanced if there was smarter steering power at both Government levels -- Edmonton City and the Province. My prediction -- the Ice District Cometh! (Let's see if I am right)

Regarding CWB, there are also a couple of spots along Jasper Ave fairly close to their current location on 103 that have been mentioned as sites to redevelop over the years. I agree Ice District 101 St and 104 Ave would be prominent, but these locations would be fairly high profile too. It would be nice to see a boost to Jasper Ave.

I'd love to see them remain in their current tower to be honest.
maybe they would like to be able to offer underground parking to their staff and customers that isn’t possible where they are?

maybe they would like a pedway link that they can’t get where they are?

maybe they would like a direct connection to the lrt that they can’t get where they are?

maybe they want floor plates that are larger and more efficient than 13,500 sf?

maybe they would like to be able to offer underground parking to their staff and customers that isn’t possible where they are?

maybe they would like a pedway link that they can’t get where they are?
/
maybe they would like a direct connection to the lrt that they can’t get where they are?

maybe they want floor plates that are larger and more efficient than 13,500 sf?.1
Maybe they want a higher profile along with the cluster of banks in Ice District. .

Back