News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Windsor Park 118 Street DC2 - 6 storeys

Off to the next one in three weeks.

The McKernan Community League supports the project. Still waiting to hear from Belgravia CL.

Janz voted against the rezoning. He sure talks a big talk, but he folds under pressure pretty fast.
It's annoying, but frankly it's what I would expect from all councillors save 1 or 2. Salvador and maybe Stevenson are the only ones I think would be willing to put their neck out on a vote like this. The local ward councillor covering their own ass while a rezoning sails through is such a massive improvement from previous councils which wouldn't have passed something like this.

It's annoying, but frankly it's what I would expect from all councillors save 1 or 2. Salvador and maybe Stevenson are the only ones I think would be willing to put their neck out on a vote like this. The local ward councillor covering their own ass while a rezoning sails through is such a massive improvement from previous councils which wouldn't have passed something like this.

I agree with this. Stevenson has continued to advocate for city plan despite opposition in her ward when approving mid density projects in westmount for instance. And Salvador, while I'm not aware of any density projects of contention in her ward, is steadfast in her support of it.

Not uncommon for councillors to tread more softly when among their voters though.

I agree with this. Stevenson has continued to advocate for city plan despite opposition in her ward when approving mid density projects in westmount for instance. And Salvador, while I'm not aware of any density projects of contention in her ward, is steadfast in her support of it.

Not uncommon for councillors to tread more softly when among their voters though.

this is a cop out for a guy like Janz who tries to put himself out as the leader of progressives. at least back up what you are espousing.

this is a cop out for a guy like Janz who tries to put himself out as the leader of progressives. at least back up what you are espousing.
I think you misunderstand Janz's politics. He is not a centre-left urbanist that positions himself as the leader of "progressives". He is a leftist who wants to position himself as the most left-wing councillor. He has expressed 'developer-skeptical' views many times, particularly through the 2021 campaign. Sure he talks about supporting infill and City Plan, but also talks about not 'giving in' to developers. Kristen Goa did a bit of the same during the campaign. Both are well-attuned to the politics of the ward. It's unlikely that a reliable infill vote comes out of this ward anytime soon, and if anyone was expecting Janz to be that vote then I'd argue they weren't paying close enough attention.

Yes, being left wing isn't synonymous with being an urbanist, or supportive of denser development. Sure, you could point out that it is pretty hypocritical as housing policy/direction directly impacts the social issues he cares about, but the same could be said for past Councilors who leaned right and claimed to want the "free market" to govern things until it came to housing/land-use. Sometimes people simply aren't consistent in their beliefs, and are too complicated and often governed by emotion to simply put them in the box of "he is left wing so he should support this".

I think you misunderstand Janz's politics. He is not a centre-left urbanist that positions himself as the leader of "progressives". He is a leftist who wants to position himself as the most left-wing councillor. He has expressed 'developer-skeptical' views many times, particularly through the 2021 campaign. Sure he talks about supporting infill and City Plan, but also talks about not 'giving in' to developers. Kristen Goa did a bit of the same during the campaign. Both are well-attuned to the politics of the ward. It's unlikely that a reliable infill vote comes out of this ward anytime soon, and if anyone was expecting Janz to be that vote then I'd argue they weren't paying close enough attention.

thank you for the nuanced perspective. nonetheless it is still surprising that he voted against IMO.

After living in the city's southwest suburbs, Eddie Du and his family bought a home in Windsor Park.

"When I first heard about this six-storey massive building breaking into our neighbourhood, and it's going to sit right next to our house, the first thing that came to my mind is to move our family out of here," he told council.

"It's chasing away people like us who want to raise our family in this neighbourhood."
I live in Bonnie Doon on 83 Ave - if someone proposed this project in many spots in this neighbourhood, I would support it fully and embrace it. Crazy to think that their first though was to move their family. I realize we aren't on the same wavelength of wealth as Windsor Park, but I digress. If people in Edmonton can't support density in their neighbourhoods, I don't have much hope for growth of supportive housing and services ever moving out of the core.

Yes, being left wing isn't synonymous with being an urbanist, or supportive of denser development. Sure, you could point out that it is pretty hypocritical as housing policy/direction directly impacts the social issues he cares about, but the same could be said for past Councilors who leaned right and claimed to want the "free market" to govern things until it came to housing/land-use. Sometimes people simply aren't consistent in their beliefs, and are too complicated and often governed by emotion to simply put them in the box of "he is left wing so he should support this".
There are some people who are on council for good reasons and there are some that I feel are using it as a stepping stone to advance to the next level. The later tend to be a bit too opportunistic for my taste, constantly looking for some cause they can champion that will get them some good press.

There are some people who are on council for good reasons and there are some that I feel are using it as a stepping stone to advance to the next level. The later tend to be a bit too opportunistic for my taste, constantly looking for some cause they can champion that will get them some good press.
I agree, and it's always been pretty obvious to me that Janz really wants to be in the legislature.

I agree, and it's always been pretty obvious to me that Janz really wants to be in the legislature.

That may be true but I don't think he needed to run for city council to make the legislature a reality. First he is NDP and your chances are pretty good to win. He was also chairman of the Edmonton public school board and a few notable members of that party made the leap to provincial politics from there such as Sarah Hoffman.

But no doubt, he is more 'engaged' and active on the provincial scene and comments regularly on provincial matters.

Back