News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

West Edmonton Mall

What's the next big thing at the mall? I guess Galaxyland has and will continue to see some big changes and certainly seems like new retailers continue to be attracted. I don't see any expansion for retail coming but any new attractions that could be added?, big renovations?, maybe a new hotel?

Entertainment and retail design need to be refreshed about every five years (prime lease term territory).

I always see a few families snapping pics with kids in the whale's mouth. I fail to see what the problem is.
Wanna know what's a more annoying feature with Phase I? The stupid train with the whistle that's always trying to plow down shoppers!
People use things that aren’t maximizing their potential or are mediocre all the time. I fail to see what ringing endorsement that produces.

When it was up by Sears, they at least tried with the faux-water around it. It was a bit silly, but at least it wasn’t just a whale poppinng out of random shades of terazzo. Really, the ideal would be to have it as a water feature again, but I know the mall’s not keen on that.

The train is whatever.

What's the next big thing at the mall? I guess Galaxyland has and will continue to see some big changes and certainly seems like new retailers continue to be attracted. I don't see any expansion for retail coming but any new attractions that could be added?, big renovations?, maybe a new hotel?

I don’t know if there’s going to be anything like Galaxyland or the Ice Palace anytime soon. Triple 5 seems keen on greatly sanitizing existing attractions as it is to the point where they’re just names and nothing more (Chinatown, Bourbon St). Even the Mind Bender’s going going gone. In some ways it’s shocking Europa Blvd and the Lagoon are still standing.

The only real new ‘entertainment’ attractions the mall has added in the last 5 years are the Rec Room and those swan boats in the Lagoon. And I’m sure most Rec Room traffic isn’t even going into the mall, unlike Playdium of yore.

As much as I love and feel nostalgic for the old terazzo tile, they need to do something about it. Give it the best polishing of its life to bring it back or put in something new. The scuffed up, chipped, faded tile looks really weird outside of Louis Vuitton and YSL. It would’ve worked 25 years ago, when the tile wasn’t aged so much, and when these storefronts had a style that fit that look more. Mind you Scottsdale Fashion Square in Arizona has a similarly aged mall look, but is still very premium. They just keep those materials well maintained so it doesn’t look so frayed and overdue for a power cleaning.

The only real new ‘entertainment’ attractions the mall has added in the last 5 years are the Rec Room and those swan boats in the Lagoon. And I’m sure most Rec Room traffic isn’t even going into the mall, unlike Playdium of yore.
They have also added the indoor go kart, recently. That was a great addition

The train will minimize my time in Phase I in favor of other phases.
Who spends a lot of time in Phase I anyway?

They have also added the indoor go kart, recently. That was a great addition
Oh right… I forgot about that! Although it’s not an expansion to the number of new attractions (it’s repurposing the W49 skatepark) but it’s still something different.

1-472288480

ADDRESS

1052, 8882 - 170 STREET NW

LEGAL_DESCRIPTION

Plan 8421891 Blk 28 Lot 5

NEIGHBOURHOOD

SUMMERLEA

JOB_DESCRIPTION

*WEM* To construct Interior Alterations in an existing shopping centre commercial floor space. Combining existing tenant spaces on Levels 1 and 2 into a single, two-level tenant space. - Main Level: Unit A100 (1052); Level 1 of the tenant space contains two ice surfaces, a storage room housing an electric Ice Resurfacer, change and locker rooms, training and gym areas, a media room, and retail space. - Second Level: Unit A200 (2052); Level 2 of the tenant space contains office space, lounges, retail space, and physiotherapy treatment areas. Units A100 & A200 (1052 & 2052) Hockeyology

PERMIT_DATE

2023-08-08

————————

New building permit for WEM. Unit 2052 is the previous woman’s gym in Phase 1.

1-472288480

ADDRESS

1052, 8882 - 170 STREET NW

LEGAL_DESCRIPTION

Plan 8421891 Blk 28 Lot 5

NEIGHBOURHOOD

SUMMERLEA

JOB_DESCRIPTION

*WEM* To construct Interior Alterations in an existing shopping centre commercial floor space. Combining existing tenant spaces on Levels 1 and 2 into a single, two-level tenant space. - Main Level: Unit A100 (1052); Level 1 of the tenant space contains two ice surfaces, a storage room housing an electric Ice Resurfacer, change and locker rooms, training and gym areas, a media room, and retail space. - Second Level: Unit A200 (2052); Level 2 of the tenant space contains office space, lounges, retail space, and physiotherapy treatment areas. Units A100 & A200 (1052 & 2052) Hockeyology

PERMIT_DATE

2023-08-08

————————

New building permit for WEM. Unit 2052 is the previous woman’s gym in Phase 1.

As per Taproot today, a new museum, Paradox, is going to be locating in what looks to be the old HMV space on the main floor of WEM. Per the news release it is expected to open Q3 (ish) 2024. Looks cool. It will be the first Paradox Museum in Canada (hmmm imagine that). According to their website they have 7 locations in Europe (Oslo, Stockholm, London, Berlin, Paris, Barcelona and in Cyprus) and four in North America (Miami, New York, Chicago and Las Vegas). Someone obviously forgot to tell them about Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary.......
Anyway, looks very cool. A nice snag for WEM. My only gripe is that this won't be downtown. This is the type of attraction that is so desperately needed downtown. One off/one of a kind attractions that will fill some of the massive amount of vacant retail space and draw new people to the core. Oh well! Maybe the next cool, one-of-a-kind, new to the country attraction will locate downtown.

This is where Ice District and ECC need to work together to try and create attractions unique to that area.
As per Taproot today, a new museum, Paradox, is going to be locating in what looks to be the old HMV space on the main floor of WEM. Per the news release it is expected to open Q3 (ish) 2024. Looks cool. It will be the first Paradox Museum in Canada (hmmm imagine that). According to their website they have 7 locations in Europe (Oslo, Stockholm, London, Berlin, Paris, Barcelona and in Cyprus) and four in North America (Miami, New York, Chicago and Las Vegas). Someone obviously forgot to tell them about Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary.......
Anyway, looks very cool. A nice snag for WEM. My only gripe is that this won't be downtown. This is the type of attraction that is so desperately needed downtown. One off/one of a kind attractions that will fill some of the massive amount of vacant retail space and draw new people to the core. Oh well! Maybe the next cool, one-of-a-kind, new to the country attraction will locate downtown.

Nice. They just need to clean up their press releases. A little further down there are a couple of references to Best Edmonton Mall - BEM

A great article about the upcoming WEM location on Retail Insider:

Back