News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Warehouse District Park

Look at Love Park in Toronto for inspiration on what the landscape architects might propose for us.
Strictly speaking from an economics project, that's probably exactly the quality of park, materials, and amenities for the 28-ish million dollars being spent on this park. And I'm okay with that.

I agree with Ian, integrating a large water feature would do a great deal to mitigate the surrounding road noise for the park as well.

Maybe some 4x10 murals detailing the history of the Warehouse district? It would be awesome if they could share some stories of some of the businesses that operated in the torn down buildings. Hell, it's hard to even find photos of the buildings let alone the operators/tenants.

Strictly speaking from an economics project, that's probably exactly the quality of park, materials, and amenities for the 28-ish million dollars being spent on this park. And I'm okay with that.

I agree with Ian, integrating a large water feature would do a great deal to mitigate the surrounding road noise for the park as well.

Maybe some 4x10 murals detailing the history of the Warehouse district? It would be awesome if they could share some stories of some of the businesses that operated in the torn down buildings. Hell, it's hard to even find photos of the buildings let alone the operators/tenants.
I hope not. Its what ? 40% concrete, a pond, and some small grass areas?
Love+Park+560.jpg

I'd rather we pass on a dog park here and put one along the 109st corridor south of Jasper.
I am fine without one in this park, too. I won't be fine if there are not recreation, physical activity options - bball, multi-sport options. Doesn't have to be a lot of space, but some please.

Yes, if Edmonton ends up with another (substantially) passive park we are going to have to take dire steps to resolve the issue. We are going to have to round up the culprits, spread crazy-glue over the seat of their pants and glue them to a (passive) park bench until they see the errors of their ways. As well, we are going to want to fashion a hat out of a clay pot and fill it with noxious dandelion weeds until they no longer wish to see another lawn surface growth of any kind. And, as one further treatment, we will have to commission weird Al Yankovic to write a song where the refrain repeats over and over "planters and benches, planters and benches, planters and benches" (in fact we will have to make the refrain the title of the song) until their personal lexicon is subsumed by these words to the extent that they will never want to hear them again for the rest of their miserable lives. We will then take these culprits one and all and line them up in a dog park where the canines will no doubt see them as inert objects and lift their hind legs to them in Arfing penile salutation.

Yes, if Edmonton ends up with another (substantially) passive park we are going to have to take dire steps to resolve the issue. We are going to have to round up the culprits, spread crazy-glue over the seat of their pants and glue them to a (passive) park bench until they see the errors of their ways. As well, we are going to want to fashion a hat out of a clay pot and fill it with noxious dandelion weeds until they no longer wish to see another lawn surface growth of any kind. And, as one further treatment, we will have to commission weird Al Yankovic to write a song where the refrain repeats over and over "planters and benches, planters and benches, planters and benches" (in fact we will have to make the refrain the title of the song) until their personal lexicon is subsumed by these words to the extent that they will never want to hear them again for the rest of their miserable lives. We will then take these culprits one and all and line them up in a dog park where the canines will no doubt see them as inert objects and lift their hind legs to them in Arfing penile salutation.

You have a mad hatred of planters and benches

We could use you in hell.

You have a mad hatred of planters and benches
Not really -- if they are used as accessories to a well planned active park then great! If they are the be-all and the end-all then -- yes -- they do put too much pepper in my grits. Let's compare a park to an entertainment room in a house -- if the sum total of the entertainment room from a furniture and equipment perspective consists of soft seating and planters, then you wouldn't really be happy to invite guests over for a game of gnip gnop or bumper pool, or, or, or flash dancing or, or, or indoor bungee jumping or, or, or miniature pony riding. The room might be pleasant to look at but it fails as its main purpose. Back to the park -- let's have a competition to see how many passive parks one can name in a ten-block area around the Warehouse planned-for ??? I'll start the game --
1. Beaver Hills House Park
2. Alex Decoteau Park
3. MacEwan University (various Quads)
4. The Legislature Grounds
5. The Linear ERRS Park
6. McKay Avenue School Grounds
7. The soon-to-be Norquest College Quad
8. The soon-to-be 103rd Ave. Connector between City Hall and the City Administration Building
Next... (this is where you join in)
Even cemetery plots are two passive -- as I have suggested before we could invent a new game of bumper-golf to go with the head-stone-rich landscape, thereby bringing some joy to the permanent inhabitants that really must be bored to death.

9. Railtown Park
10. Frank Oliver Park (next to the Hotel Mac)
11. Churchill Square
12. Beatrice Carmichael Park (104 St south of Jasper Ave)
13. Pisani Plaza
14. Abbey Glen Park
15. TELUS Park
16. Ezio Farone Park

Just remember that amongst having the fountain, wading pool, skating, ball courts, playgrounds, washrooms, benches and planters, we will need to squeeze in the Nathan Fillion Civilian Pavilion somewhere in this park.

Back