News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Suburban Development and Sprawl

Home transactions $1 million or higher in greater Edmonton, said Debler, jumped from 155 in 2020 to 251 in 2021.
“It’s quite funny that when you look at a map of Edmonton, the money just flows down the river,” said Debler, referring to where these homes are situated. “Really, it’s the homes that are following that river line all the way down to southwest Edmonton; those seem to be the ones that transact quite a bit higher.”
Those areas include spots near downtown, and then follow the river encompassing neighbourhoods including Old Glenora, the Country Club area, Donsdale, Cameron Heights and Windermere.

Home transactions $1 million or higher in greater Edmonton, said Debler, jumped from 155 in 2020 to 251 in 2021.
“It’s quite funny that when you look at a map of Edmonton, the money just flows down the river,” said Debler, referring to where these homes are situated. “Really, it’s the homes that are following that river line all the way down to southwest Edmonton; those seem to be the ones that transact quite a bit higher.”
Those areas include spots near downtown, and then follow the river encompassing neighbourhoods including Old Glenora, the Country Club area, Donsdale, Cameron Heights and Windermere.
When you have no ocean, the dead trees will have to do!

(Reference is mcdavid house tour getting roasted online for his “views” haha)

When you have no ocean, the dead trees will have to do!

(Reference is mcdavid house tour getting roasted online for his “views” haha)

I wonder what Edmonton community has the highest home prices where there isn't easy access to river valley or a ravine?

The Highlands
seems like decent valley access to me 🤔
AC015A2D-0596-42F7-BDCC-473BDC3E907D.png

There are a lot of young families with often very different needs and values. It might be the case that most of the young families you know aspire to the portrait of a very stereotypical white Canadian household you've painted (which there is nothing wrong with), but consider that it might not be representative of Edmonton as a whole.

As just one example, there are lots of immigrant families for whom a backyard hot tub doesn't really register among the other things they may care about:
  • proximity to cultural/linguistic enclaves (and associated school programs)
  • easy access to post-secondary by transit (often very important)
  • walkable communities with good transit for live-in elderly relatives/other family members that can't drive.
"white Canadian household"? .... those are your words and not mine. It is you that is white washing my post to what you believe represents suburbia. I have friends in the suburbs that are not white and happily live in the suburbs They own their homes with 3-4 kids, a grade, dog and backyard.

"white Canadian household"? .... those are your words and not mine. It is you that is white washing my post to what you believe represents suburbia. I have friends in the suburbs that are not white and happily live in the suburbs They own their homes with 3-4 kids, a grade, dog and backyard.
I really didn't mean any offence by this, or to imply that only white people live in suburbs. "stereotypical white Canadian household" isn't the most precise language, but it was just meant as a quick shorthand that I think most people understand.

Count me out on that type of language. It is itself exclusionary and reveals a certain kind of bias.
What kind of bias? I would say that it's just being cognizant of our less than stellar history. Not too long ago, racial minorities were very purposefully kept out of many communities with the type of housing EdmTrekker described (redlining wasn't just an American thing).

Regardless, if I were to write the post again I would use a different phrase. But to be clear, it didn't come from a place of racism or contempt towards anyone on this forum (I'm a second generation immigrant that has lived in some very white suburbs).

Last edited:
Self-deprecation has always been a subtle way of saying you are superior to someone else and it is just getting tiresome when applied to "races".

Self-deprecation has always been a subtle way of saying you are superior to someone else and it is just getting tiresome when applied to "races".
What exactly are you trying to say here? These vague comments are just prolonging an unnecessary digression that no one takes joy from. To me, it sounds like you're writing with intentional ambiguity because you're worried people would find your perspective to be unsavory if written plainly.

Let's just move on from this. I used a pretty benign term and didn't mean any offence. Back to skyscrapers and urbanism.

There's nothing progressive about racial essentialism. It is what civil rights leaders fought against, in fact. So, no I don't consider for one iota that my perspective is unsavoury.

In my opinion we have to always strive for equality, justice, progress. A lot of rhetoric has lost this perspective in favour of a race war. Mostly coming out of the United States, that broken society.

Let's keep the racial generalizations out of this forum.

Back