News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Suburban Development and Sprawl

@Platinum107 you do realize that the first Jasper Ave. photo was a street parade -- thereby accounting for the people gathering (it also coincided with the Circus coming to town -- note the carnival wagons). The second "history" photo had just as many cars as the modern day photo -- more people because there was main street Retail and Hospitality back then -- nothing to do with auto traffic.
Haha... it's like that VE Day shot which many have used in the past as a comparison to a winter day today.

Guys, you know exactly that I'm talking about. You know I wasn't just talking about auto traffic. Maybe that picture wasn't the most pure example but my point still stands.

Don't need to abolish zoning, just need to allow a lot more in your base zone, including multifamily, some commercial and office. And get rid of parking requirements. This is a decent summary of Japans zoning, which would be a good starting point:

http://urbankchoze.blogspot.com/2014/04/japanese-zoning.html
Frankly, as long as we're able to segregate activities harmful to the health of living beings (humans, animals, plants...) from the places where we live, like factories, etc... we should have no zoning and let the market dictate what is needed, where it's needed.
We can control for issues like noise pollution, for example, with bylaws, but I find the whole idea of zoning preposterous.

Frankly, as long as we're able to segregate activities harmful to the health of living beings (humans, animals, plants...) from the places where we live, like factories, etc... we should have no zoning and let the market dictate what is needed, where it's needed.
We can control for issues like noise pollution, for example, with bylaws, but I find the whole idea of zoning preposterous.

No zoning and you could end up like Houston. I thought that was the worst until I spent a few weeks in Mexico after a few years away and ventured out in the suburban sprawl in a couple cities, I think they've reached new lows.

Houston doesn't have zoning, but that's kind of a misleading statement. They may not have zoning but they still have plenty of tools that restrict development. It's honestly like the worst of both worlds.

How does Houston plan without zoning?

1639178239925.png

Houston is a grand example of government over-reach meant to benefit the super-rich -- the "bylaws" that they have put in place for control are actually worse than zoning laws -- ditto for Mexico City. Both Cities have teeming corruption within their civic ranks.

I like this quote:
"When I look at pictures of Edmonton on Instagram — which is, you know, one of the things I like to do — nobody takes photos of the suburbs," says Shawna Lemay, a writer and photographer who can see the Henday from the Ormsby Place home where she's lived for 22 years.

Followed by this picture. Clearly showing why no one shoots in the burbs :)
Screenshot_20220202-111136_CBC News.jpg

why do you all have to be so awful about the suburbs? you all sound elitist, the majority of Canadians live in suburbs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oml, I was kind of in a suspended state between bursting out laughing and feeling a little bad and wanting to hear the idea out while reading this 😅.The gut reaction side of me just wants to shout "BECAUSE THERE"S NOTHING INTERESTING ABOUT THE SUB-" but then I calm down and am like "Okay, they do have the right to tell their stories and I don't know, maybe there'll be some interesting perspectives presented here 🤷‍♂️"

Back