News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Street Lights

itom987

Member Bio
Reaction score
When I am driving anywhere in Edmonton at night I see large swath of streets not lit up. This problem has been getting worse for years and needs to stop. Who is responsible for replacing broken lightbulbs, and why are they not done in a timely manner? They better fix this problem quickly, before someone gets into an accident and sues the city.

Since you bring up streetlights, I was driving back in from a BC trip a few weeks ago, and with the contrast of the lower mainland, I was a bit baffled how unlit the Yellowhead is as it comes into town. Usually i'm not out that way when it's so dark so I hadn't noticed before.
From approximately Spruce Grove, I was finding that the light of the urbanized areas along the highway was forcing my eyes to adjust to slightly higher light levels, and thus the Yellowhead itself being unlit in this area made the road seem especially dark.
By Contrast, the QE2 from the south is pretty well lit after Leduc, and it's very much appreciated. It seems a bit odd they haven't lit this portion of the Yellowhead, but I'm not really familiar with the decision making for road lighting on provincial highways.

The Yellowhead lights have been out for years. I am now finding lights out in other parts of the city. It shouldn't take so long to change a lightbulb.

That reminds me - I need to report to 311 about a blinking street light in front of the Chateau Lacombe, and then another report to 311 concerning light outages along Rossdale Rd/99 Ave.
May I suggest you SRC posters report any street light outages to 311 as well - it wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:
When I am driving anywhere in Edmonton at night I see large swath of streets not lit up. This problem has been getting worse for years and needs to stop. Who is responsible for replacing broken lightbulbs, and why are they not done in a timely manner? They better fix this problem quickly, before someone gets into an accident and sues the city.
Since EPCOR lost the contract to take care of the streetlights, it seems the quality of work done on streetlights has gone downhill big time.

There's a whole stretch between Victoria Trail and 50th Street going westbound where a whole slew of lights aren't working. 311 isn't a big help when it comes to that little area, not much has been done as I've reported it.

Let's hope the City gets this crap dealt with. It's a safety issue in some areas for sure.

I don't think it's a lightbulb out issue, it's a switch flipped off or wires disconnected issue.

I don't think it's a lightbulb out issue, it's a switch flipped off or wires disconnected issue.
It's been months. Based on what I know about this issue, this should have been dealt with a lot faster. UNLESS it's a supply chain issue and they are waiting for a part.

I have both good news and bad news to share.

Bad news: The 311 app has already closed my report of streetlight outages along Rossdale Rd/99 Ave just one day after I submitted my report. They clearly must be aware of the situation already, therefore I'm hoping these streetlights will be fixed soon.

Good news: Just a couple of days after I reported the blinking streetlight in front of the Chateau Lacombe, it is now fixed and working properly! Thanks, 311 app!! :)

Back