News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Stony Plain Road/231 Street

TravellingChris

Member Bio
Reaction score
The City needs to do something to fix this intersection. It's a disaster waiting to happen. Multiple residential developments were approved in the area south of Stony Plain Road, with the result that in the late afternoons there is a massive backlog of westbound vehicles waiting to turn south. The queue builds and builds and drivers start to get impatient, with the upshot that they take extremely risky moves like pulling directly in front of eastbound traffic when it is not safe to do so. I've seen multiple near-misses at this intersection, and fatalities are probably only a matter of time.

^it's going to need a proper intersection, While I don't live in the west end, I often need to run out to Spruce Grove and on my way back into the city, I start to pucker when approaching this area. Wish the province would fast-track the extension of the Whitemud to the Devon highway (hwy60); it needs to happen sometime.

maybe...I thought Enoch lands were directly to the south of the existing ROW. Seems to be suburban development and farmland to the north.

I live nearish here so I try to keep updated. There are current plans to build out highway 628 Whitemud to Campsite Road. Announcement was 2019. Construction was suppose to start 2021. Its 2023 and nothing still.
Anyway heres the design for that for reference.
It starts at 231st and beyond. I imagine AHD to 231st is CoE responsibility.

I also imagine some traffic is added because 231st is still closed north of Highway 628. They also closed a lane on the SB 215st Bridge over SPR.

maybe...I thought Enoch lands were directly to the south of the existing ROW. Seems to be suburban development and farmland to the north.
Correct, 628 is the northern border of Enoch.

This intersection is becoming horrific. This afternoon during the drive home there were at least 50 vehicles, all driving on the left shoulder, waiting to turn south onto 231 Street. The guy in front of me in the westbound fast lane slammed on his brakes and tried a couple of times to cut into line ahead of the last 10 or 15 cars.

I don't understand why the City seems obsessed with "fixing" the left-hand exit to Terwillegar Drive off the southbound Whitemud but this left-hand exit (which clogs up the fast lane and contributes to backups along westbound Stony Plain Road) is apparently A-OK.

Have you tried contacting city council or 311? Or tried contacting the local media (CTV, CBC, Global, Edmonton Journal, Taproot)?

I've been contemplating just taking a few snaps of the backups at rush hour and posting them on social media.

Do it, but make sure you tag the City of Edmonton, Mayor Sohi, the city councillors of this area (I think Andrew Knack and Sarah Hamilton) and the rest of city council (hashtag is #yegcc). Good luck to ya!

At least they finally added lights to Winterburn and Yellowhead so no more vehicles backing up onto the Yellowhead during peak hours.

This intersection is becoming horrific. This afternoon during the drive home there were at least 50 vehicles, all driving on the left shoulder, waiting to turn south onto 231 Street. The guy in front of me in the westbound fast lane slammed on his brakes and tried a couple of times to cut into line ahead of the last 10 or 15 cars.

I don't understand why the City seems obsessed with "fixing" the left-hand exit to Terwillegar Drive off the southbound Whitemud but this left-hand exit (which clogs up the fast lane and contributes to backups along westbound Stony Plain Road) is apparently A-OK.
The west end developers (Secord, Rosenthal, etc.) should've been made to pay to upgrade that intersection to a full interchange, but I understand there is no requirement for that at the moment.

Back