News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Stollery Children's Hospital

From what I’ve heard, and from what was shared earlier in the thread, I think the plan is to build where the Canadian Blood Services building is.

The location question is still open and potential options have expanded. There are some limiting factors to the CBS site that makes it less than ideal. But there are some potential options that are also very exciting and still include the U of A.

The U of A area does offer the advantages of being fairly central, close to two LRT stations, good bus service and proximity to other medical resources and facilities.

Land is obviously at a premium in this area, so multi storey would be the way to go. As for parking, all hospital parking is generally limited and not cheap.

Talking with some Dr friends practicing there. Having it on Campus is the Ideal option but South Edmonton Campus was also brought up as part of the larger campus. From what I gleaned from people involved though is that a location was chosen they were just waiting to AHS and AI to announce it. I guess that changed.

From what I’ve heard, and from what was shared earlier in the thread, I think the plan is to build where the Canadian Blood Services building is.
That's what I heard and the preferred option (at this time at least). However there are still concerns about the size of the lot even if the CBS building is torn down.

Unfortunately I can't say much more at this point in time but to be clear no final decision has been made on location. So it could still end up on the north campus but I highly doubt it. Nevertheless, I think that will ultimately end up being a very good thing. Sorry, I don't mean to sound annoyingly coy but of course there are ongoing conversations

I suspect the bigger more important issue is whether it will happen or not and I feel not. If so, then location will be a moot point.

But, I realize one things government sometimes does is go through the motions to give the appearance of action even when there is not.

More BC hospital announcements while Danni and co. spend peanuts for the “planning” of a hospital that will never come

More BC hospital announcements while Danni and co. spend peanuts for the “planning” of a hospital that will never come
These Alberta Hospitals have been in planning for 10 years.

I had thought the old UA Nursing Residence was the probable site with direct LRT access and sky bridges to the UA Hospital, Kaye Centre and Health Sciences. There is a parkade to the North. Maybe the old Nursing Residence has been demolished or repurposed? But that may be a tight fit. Maybe the grounds east of Corbett have adequate space - but we lose the lovely Corbett Hall Building at least the prominent view from the East.

Last edited:

Back