Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Ritchie Market's success sparks pedestrian safety concerns
Foot traffic flooding the Ritchie neighbourhood in Edmonton is a boon for business, but some worry it could also become a safety hazard.

The Ritchie Market at 95 Street and 76 Avenue opened last month on the corner of a busy four-way stop, and business has been booming for tenants that include Transcend Coffee.

“We all knew that it was going to be a great location. I think what surprised us to some extent is the delight in which the community has embraced this place,” said Transcend owner Poul Mark.

He said he was surprised how busy the intersection got even during the construction phase, and it will only get busier.

ACME Meats and Creekside Cyclery also occupy the market, but Blind Enthusiasm Brewing Company and brewpub Biera have yet to open and summer is just around the corner.

“I think some sort of traffic control is definitely warranted on this corner. Because it’s not just about cars, it’s about the interplay of cars and people,” Mark said, adding he has especially noticed a spike in foot traffic on the weekends.

“As more and more people find their way here through walking and biking, it’s both congestion but it’s also a safety issue – people are jaywalking all the time and trying to get across the street.”

Mark suggested an “X” crosswalk where traffic stops in all directions and pedestrians cross at once. He notes they are commonly used in Banff, and there are a couple in downtown Edmonton.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmont...place-sparks-pedestrian-safety-concerns-.html

Safety worries spur call for traffic light in Ritchie
The Ritchie Market, south of Whyte Avenue, may be a victim of its own "crazy" success, says Coun. Mike Nickel.

"Obviously we're going to have to manage that corner with some sort of pedestrian management plan," he said.

Transcend Coffee, Acme Meat Market and Creekside Cyclery, three of the four businesses operating out of the new development, officially opened in the new space on the corner of 96th Street and 76th Avenue in March.

"It's two-to-two-and-a-half times busier than expected," said Poul Mark owner of Transcend Coffee.

Weekends are "crazy busy," while week days are beginning to mellow out, he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ton-market-nickel-safety-pedestrian-1.4090629

Ritchie Market wows the crowd in Edmonton's Urban Design Awards
So long “iconic.”

The buzzword, which seemed to dominate Edmonton’s planning jargon for the last decade, is giving way to a preference for functional, livable and vibrant — at least in the Edmonton Urban Design Awards announced Friday night.

Ritchie Market (9570 76 Ave.) walked off with two big wins, including the people’s choice award and an award of excellence for urban architecture.

It’s an understated building, designed to feel like three different smaller buildings from the street to give a feeling more like Whyte Avenue than downtown. Inside, the 17,000 square feet opens to created shared spaces and a public market feel, encouraging local residents to linger and meet friends and neighbours.

“It looks like it’s always been there,” said Peter Spearey, Edmonton’s new head of urban design. “What it contributes to the street is amazing,” he added, pointing out the wide sidewalks, patio spaces and multiple entranceways.

ik-20171031-037-jpg.jpg

Ritchie Market is seen in Edmonton, Alberta on Tuesday, October 31, 2017. IAN KUCERAK / POSTMEDIA

“It’s not just another strip mall,” said Holdsworth, gushing over how the Ritchie Market transformed the corner at 76 Avenue and 95 Street.

The structure looks like three small buildings to anyone passing by and adds life to the street with large windows, café tables and a patio. It hosts several businesses including a brew pub, restaurant, bike shop and butcher’s shop.

It looks good in the photos, but “it’s when we saw it in person that we were really blown away,” Thorne said.

It fits simply into the lower density mature neighbourhood around and there’s no ugly back side. “It’s attention to design wrapped all around the building.”
  • Owner: GPZ RCA Investments
  • Architecture: Group2 Architecture
  • Won: Award of Excellence in Urban Architecture, People’s Choice Award

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/ins...ws-the-crowd-in-edmontons-urban-design-awards

Just drove by there the other day, looks beautiful. The Fiancee and I were scoping out infills for the future.

My friends just purchased an infill not far from there.

I had to pick up a parcel from UPS at Ritchie Foods the other day. Maybe it will be up for fixin' up next. :)

Blind Enthusiasm expanding into part of the Transcend space (which is pretty underutilized as it is, so that's ok):

Permit Class Class B
Permit Date Jan 24, 2019
Status Approved
Description of Development To Change the Use from a Specialty Food Service (Transcend Coffee Roasting Area) to add 27m2 of Public Space to an existing Restaurant (Blind Entusiasm)
Address 9570 - 76 AVENUE NW
Legal Description Plan 1524453 Blk 5 Lot 4A
Neighbourhood RITCHIE
Neighbourhood Classification Mature
Ward Ward 11
Zoning CNC,CNC, RA7,CNC

Back