News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Regional Transit

AYFKM?
“We’re not sure it’s an idea that can’t work. But, it won’t work as a privatized deal and we want to have a seat at the table. We want to be involved in decisions that are being made about the service that we operate and we want to protect our jobs, we want to protect our union and we want to protect our jurisdiction,” Bradshaw said.

I think it’s sad to see that any regional collaboration ends up being fragmented. I think the best Edmonton can do now is offer some kind of BRT to the airport.

I am very devastated by this failure to launch what could have been a backbone to further regional cooperation. I am reminded of some parting wisdom Don Iveson attempted to impart on the incoming mayor/council which was the importance of regional cooperation. I am thinking particularly of this paragraph.

"We won’t be better off going it alone, but that idea might look appealing to some in the region as we move through difficult economic circumstances. It might even look better politically. To avoid this pitfall, it will be key to continue our collaboration and not lose momentum on building regional relationships. City Administration will play a key role in continuity post-election, but the next Council (and the next mayor in particular) should jump into regional collaboration with both feet. You will find willing partners in many of the mayors vying to return."

I am beyond devastated at this decision. It is the stupidest, most short-sighted decision this Council has ever made. I hope every single one of these Councillors lose their next election or are forced by the Alberta Government to to merge all local transit authorities into one METS operated by the EMRB. I don't care about economic competitiveness. I care about co-operation. The UCP have always HATED the idea of a strong urban region. That is why the first decision Kenney made was to absolutely destroy the Civic Charters. We need a strong and relevant EMRB to counteract the rural oppression of the UCP. Regional transit was supposed to show our collective strength. We have failed miserably. Get ready for UCP politicians taking advantage of this to use petty in-fighting between the members to weaken the Board and strengthen the Province.

I am beyond devastated at this decision. It is the stupidest, most short-sighted decision this Council has ever made. I hope every single one of these Councillors lose their next election or are forced by the Alberta Government to to merge all local transit authorities into one METS operated by the EMRB. I don't care about economic competitiveness. I care about co-operation. The UCP have always HATED the idea of a strong urban region. That is why the first decision Kenney made was to absolutely destroy the Civic Charters. We need a strong and relevant EMRB to counteract the rural oppression of the UCP. Regional transit was supposed to show our collective strength. We have failed miserably. Get ready for UCP politicians taking advantage of this to use petty in-fighting between the members to weaken the Board and strengthen the Province.
Regional Transit in the Edmonton Region will only see the light of day if the Province mandates it, like was done with Metrolinx in Ontario and Translink in BC. The costs are too high for all of the municipalities to bear, so a Provincial Crown Agency managing regional transit makes much more sense. That won't happen with the UCP though, perhaps with the NDP.

The province should indeed play a big part in facilitating this but the region has to want it. Edmonton council has made a very short sighted decision. The amount of work that has gone into this thing bringing so many municipalities together to not even give it a go for a year or 2 is bizarre.

Either Sohi wants to use this to make a case to the Province for funding, or he is trying to appear like a fiscal hawk because he knows Cartmell will run against him in the next election -which is very stupid. If you emulate your enemies, your enemies will take your place.

Back