News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Regional Planning & Growth

Ahh Sherwood Park, that glorified subburb on the other side of the refinieries where pretentious white people who think they're rich live so they can tell people they're "not from Edmonton".

Really can't stand that place at all.

Last edited:
As someone who lives there you're mostly correct. There are a ton of people who look down on Edmonton. It's not everyone though. We're in a bubble here in the Park and a lot of good, well meaning people get negative ideas about Edmonton from this sheltered perspective.

Last edited:
Ahh Sherwood Park, that glorfied subburb on the other side of the refinieries where pretentious white people who think they're rich live so they can tell people they're "not from Edmonton".

Really can't stand that place at all.
I have even had people who live there describe it to me like this. Maybe its just me, but living next to a refinery with the wind blowing towards me does not sound like a great idea.

If I had to chose an upscale community to live in, I would pick one with a nice lake or river or even one not next to an industrial park, but I suppose some comfortable middle class people feel entitled to their delusions of grandeur.

Yes I've always wondered the rationale of building a suburb directly downwind from the refineries. I have no source on this but it seems like an inordinate amount of youth in Sherwood Park, myself included have asthma and other lung related problems. It would be interesting to compare asthma rates between SHPK and other municipalities in the area. I have no idea if my hypothesis would hold up but it seems like every second person here who grew up here has it.

Yes I've always wondered the rationale of building a suburb directly downwind from the refineries. I have no source on this but it seems like an inordinate amount of youth in Sherwood Park, myself included have asthma and other lung related problems. It would be interesting to compare asthma rates between SHPK and other municipalities in the area. I have no idea if my hypothesis would hold up but it seems like every second person here who grew up here has it.
Not to mention the rates of MS

Sherwood Park has long lived off the Tit of Edmonton.

They should put on their big city pants and incorporate. Imagine being proud of being called a hamlet.

As someone who lives there you're mostly correct. There are a ton of people who look down on Edmonton. It's not everyone though. We're in a bubble here in the Park and a lot of good, well meaning people get negative ideas about Edmonton from this sheltered perspective.
I think the problem is that Strathcona County shit the bed a little bit.

Sherwood Park is basically built out and is hemmed in on all corners by either industrial development or exurban style sprawl estates. And Sherwood Park itself wasn’t built to densify.

The majority of the rural part of the county is quite wooded and includes many lakes and provincial parks, as well as more exurban sprawl and acreages. My guess is that there’s more restrictions and/or a lack of want to paving over this land for sprawl. So that leaves traditional farmland and for that Bremner is the biggest patch that’s the closest to Edmonton and Sherwood Park. The only other area is directly south of Hwy 14 and that would only reasonably accommodate something Beaumont sized. Bremner is supposed to have a slightly smaller footprint to Sherwood Park.

Not to mention the rates of MS

Sherwood Park has long lived off the Tit of Edmonton.

They should put on their big city pants and incorporate. Imagine being proud of being called a hamlet.
It is very odd and I am surprised a community this size is allowed to remain as such. I believe remaining a hamlet allows them to benefit from the significant industrial tax base of the county.

It sort of distorts normal governance as a nominally rural body overseas a large urban area. Perhaps it works if the community has little ambition beyond being a suburb.

Back