News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

QE2 and 65 Avenue interchange - Leduc

Edmcowboy11

Member Bio
Reaction score

So I saw the press conference stating this project will be moving forward. Glad to see this is coming.

Don't get me wrong, optimizing the road network is a good thing overall, but maybe instead of continuing the trend of always expanding highways and add more interchanges, maybe there should be a push to create commuter rail lines and buses to better connect Edmonton with it's suburbs, just a thought 🤷‍♂️

@Edmcowboy11 In either case there should be a shift towards more investment in public transit between two places as opposed to always expanding road networks.

@Edmcowboy11 In either case there should be a shift towards more investment in public transit between two places as opposed to always expanding road networks.
Oh I agree, transit needs to ever be expanded. But just remember if there isn't a good network of roadways, public transit cannot function well. This interchange will potentially improve the transit routes in and out of the airport and businesses.

@archited OMG I literally said at the beginning of my first post that optimizing the road network was a good thing, and I'll expand on it and say that In certain doses and areas I support it (such as here), but always adding onto the common road needs to stop being the default everywhere to increase transport capacity. Try investing in a frequent bus network with some dedicated bus lanes here and there. Oh, demand is outweighing efficiency? Create a passenger rail network and add dedicated tracks here and there! I'm not a crazy who wants all cars to be banished to the underworld and I understand that infrastructure needs to be made for them, but still 😕

What I still want to see is a proper regional commuter rail plan created. I see some vague statements about one in the buzz about regional transit planning but nothing ever concrete. There is so much potential to re-use existing corridors as long as CP/CN are game to work with the city/province. Having said that, I have a feeling nothing will happen before 2023 at the very least for obvious reasons... Cough, cough... Jason "The Joker" Kenney...

Back