News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Past Vs Present

What is so brutal about this road, @thommyjo - 121 St north of 104 Ave now has bike paths on both sides and the street parking has switched from angle to parallel. That empty site north of the brewery is screaming for development. As for trees, let's wait and observe how the current greenery grows.

it used to be a somewhat "industrial road" and it that context is makes sense, but in what is now an urban mixed-use area it makes no sense to have a road that huge for no reason. You could easily add 2x wider sidewalks, a tree boulevard on both sides, and a completely separated bike path. I hope it's changed once the LRT comes through, but who knows, that might be too much good urban design for the City of Edmonton :p.

P.S.: Don't even get me started on the bike gutters.

1642566396280.png

1642566444419.png

I feel like it might be because the new HSBC front design really puts a spotlight on just how wide 101 St. is. I'm not a traffic engineer, but is that road width really necessary for cars? At least there's plenty of space to work with for improvements, like retrofitting dedicated bus lanes or something.

The flashbacks I am getting to the amount of times I have stood at that City Centre bus stop, watching and waiting for the bus as it slowly crawls forward 15 minutes late because it's stuck behind a pile of cars...😵‍💫

I'd also say suggest maybe the changes and removal in retail in both the HSBC space and City Centre is making it look more bland/sterile at the moment? Hopefully that will look better soon once those spaces are leased again Incoming cash money and dental office in 3...2...

Am I?

Don't get me wrong, I love the redo of HSBC... with the exemption that the previous building has protection for pedestrians.

I also prefer the look of the dark/mustard over the sterile white/red.

Am I?

Don't get me wrong, I love the redo of HSBC... with the exemption that the previous building has protection for pedestrians.

I also prefer the look of the dark/mustard over the sterile white/red.
I was never a fan of the pure 2000s stucco look of ECC so any use of glazing over that is an improvement in my eyes.

In all other parts I would agree, but Artworks and the contrast here worked.

I agree about the colour. I walk past ECC several times a week. I thought the mustard yellow was much better than white. Especially in winter.

Last edited:

Back