News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Parking and our main streets - to pay or not to pay

Should we make DT/Whyte Ave/124 etc (all metered mainstreets) parking free/$2-5 evenings & weekends?

• Would not change where I shop, dine or visit - ie. not going anyways

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WEM has everything so just give up already

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Thoughts?

How can we drive more 'traffic' to these areas?

Last edited:
A few things to consider/read:

I can see, as a future (casual) driver, why free parking would be nice to have, but I think instituting it will go against encouraging people to use active transportation and transit. Free parking will give people more incentive to drive to these important dense areas when imo it should be the other way around if we wanna achieve certain goals in the City Plan. If people are having a hard time getting to these places without a car, then transit service should be improved.

Never assume, but that's usually a given.

Downtown saw issues with that last summer.

The only time free parking in downtown is vital for me is if I just need to make a 5 min stop to grab something, otherwise when I need to park for awhile then I just pay.
Solution as I've seen in other cities is to make public transportation far more convenient than it is to park, and I'm not referring to the cost of parking.

But that's where I think that we missed the boat when E-Park arrived.

We used to have a plethora of '15min max' zones at the end of blocks. They were demarcated with red meters and sometimes boxes and were great for popping in and out.

I'd love to see expanded short-term zones and do a flat $2 or 5 for Saturdays.

Not quite Downtown, but close enough.

Yesterday we parked outside Structube on 112st north of Jasper. We went to pay and it said 'press the green button for 30mins FREE'. We did than with our license plate submitted and walked off.

We come back to a ticket.

I see the ticket guy and went over to ask him more about it.

Apparently this zone's E-Park machine does not always work and that 'they have been reporting it for months', but that this zone has been getting abused by parkers who are taking advantage of that fact and so he has been advised to ticket it and more often than normal.

Doing that instead of fixing the machine.

So not only is the machine not working properly, the 'system' is broken for repairing it, the authority is not providing grace even though they are providing 30mins FREE (IF the machine had worked properly) and so now I have to go fight a $50.00 ticket.

3/4 cars had tickets on this stretch.

We even went back to the machine to do a video of how it is misleading to the user for submission to the authority when we appeal this. The parking meter guy even admitted that it is misleading.

clap
clap
clap

^^

it's this whole "gotcha!" which is so frustrating when it comes to the city.

on the other hand, at least they're consistent - the parking patrol seems to be taking cues from the "where to put the radar cars" patrol - so they get you whether you're going or not going.

if only they were as diligent with their maintenance but i suppose maintenance isn't a direct revenue stream. :(

Called their ticket line to see about discussing it further.

Was told that I should have parked somewhere else if I was unsure if the E-Park machine was working or not, even though it was offering 30 mins free, accepted our license plate and told us to press the green confirmation button.

That they cannot review any evidence (we have video) and that it will have to be disputed via the courts system.

What an absolute was of time and resources for all parties involved.

Your machine accepted our plate, told us to press the green button to confirm, which we did and walked away.

I would not expect a confirmation receipt for 30mins free or to assume another step was required.

I wonder how many folks out there have been bitten by this.

Last edited:

Back