News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

New Zoning Bylaw

Edmonton is really interesting because we’ve managed to do a bunch of controversial things without much fanfare while Calgary and its mayor seem to be getting hammered over the same things. One example is was we passed a climate emergency declaration before them with little coverage and in Calgary it’s still an extremely contentious issue that may end up sinking the mayor.

The Zoning Bylaw renewals are another example of Edmonton quietly getting stuff done whereas Calgary seemingly is stuck fighting over politics. We’re on an Edmonton specific forum, but IMO we’re the city to watch closely because there’s a lot being done.

Unlike Calgary, there doesn't appear to be a lot of infighting in Edmonton City Council. Our council just has Karen Principe and Jennifer Rice as the only naysayers, and I doubt Rice will last any longer.

Edmonton is really interesting because we’ve managed to do a bunch of controversial things without much fanfare while Calgary and its mayor seem to be getting hammered over the same things. One example is was we passed a climate emergency declaration before them with little coverage and in Calgary it’s still an extremely contentious issue that may end up sinking the mayor.

The Zoning Bylaw renewals are another example of Edmonton quietly getting stuff done whereas Calgary seemingly is stuck fighting over politics. We’re on an Edmonton specific forum, but IMO we’re the city to watch closely because there’s a lot being done.
It's a genuine odd quirk that I'm noticing between the two cities. It's only a matter of time until density advocates in Calgary point to us as a model, but even then I'm not too sure how successful they'll be in the face of increasing opposition.

I keep noting that for all the faults this council has, the fact that this zoning bylaw got passed with relatively little issue will be one of its strongest legacies. Something that every other city in this country seems to struggle with for some god damn reason.

It must be frustrating for someone in the "nicer" cities to see Edmonton do this work, while people still continue to snub us lol

Back