Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
1606929277772.png

1606929282590.png

1606929289941.png

Erin Van-Horn, the Students’ Union building planner, gave a brief presentation on the new features that will accompany the renovation.

“We’re making a concerted effort to improve the access both in the circulation within the theatre and the main floor of SUB,” she said.

The renovation will include a new elevator which will connect to the lower level, main floor, and second floor of SUB. Additionally, there will be new flooring in the main floor vestibule areas to fix the issue of vestibule matting being difficult to navigate for those who use wheelchairs.

Within the theatre, there will be additional accessibility features like:
  • Improved seating so that guests with low-mobility now have middle and central seating options
  • Increased access to change rooms and backstage space for performers with low-mobility
  • Closed captioning for theatre patrons who are deaf
  • Lights with a wavelength specifically designed to accommodate those with low vision
The Myer Horowitz renovation will also include gender-neutral restrooms on the second floor of the theatre, with an additional gender neutral washroom on the main floor of SUB close to the main quad entrance.

“To have that be the first impression within SUB, that we are a place of inclusivity and gender neutrality I think is a great step forward for our organization,” Van-Horn said.

Gotta give props to SU, I can't see this being a popular decision with main student body "HEY, YOURE STUCK WITH LEARNING ONLINE WITH PROFESSORS WHO CAN BARELY TURN A COMPUTER ON, NOW PAY EXTRA MONEY SO WE CAN RENO SUB ~~AGAIN~~" but it's a well thought out decision. It needs an upgrade and the timing is right with it being unused with the pandemic.

Interesting that there are no events listed on the venue's website, and no construction update either recently. Anyone have any intel what up with this one?

Back