News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Municipal Politics

Gerein isn't wrong, party meddling in municipal elections helped bring this about.

I realize his focus is Edmonton, but lest we forget conservatives in Calgary were working over time (and still are) to defeat those considered too progressive, so other parties are just as guilty too.

Hamilton rushing off to the UCP fundraiser is still not a good look, but perhaps the important debate went better without her being there.

I am about as fed up with partisan politics as I've ever been but shouldn't the people decide? If people want to run for a party or independent I think they should have the right to do so. Or is the issue around not being able to compete independently with party funding which I can see being an obstacle.

Or is the issue around not being able to compete independently with party funding which I can see being an obstacle.
I believe that is the bigger issue. There have been recent examples of how having a political party behind candidates can skew municipal elections.
This also tends to create problems such as partisan politics influencing thing at scales where it shouldn't. it can also strengthen the provincial government power over municipalities as well as their power to influence municipal elections, especially in a province like ours, with a "weak mayor" system.

The municipal system of government is not designed for party participation. Is the expectation that the party that elects the most council representatives gets to seat the mayor?

There is no practical value for citizens, and the reason it is being pursued is to create another avenue for provincial meddling in municipal affairs (and entrench ideology).

City Manager Andre Corbould leaving his position​

March 22, 2024

Mayor Amarjeet Sohi, on behalf of City Council and City Manager Andre Corbould, have confirmed that Mr. Corbould will be leaving the City effective April 3, 2024. He joined the City in January 2021 after a distinguished career in senior roles with the Government of Alberta and the Canadian Armed Forces.

“Council appreciates Mr. Corbould’s work and dedication to Edmonton. He has led the City of Edmonton through a very long and difficult pandemic, supported the transition of this council, helped advance council’s work on anti-racism and reconciliation, helped support thousands of evacuees and provided exceptional leadership during the recent security incident at City Hall," said Mayor Sohi.

“This marks my fortieth year in public service and I am proud of the progress Council and City Administration have made in implementing The City Plan, recovering from the pandemic and managing community growth," said Corbould. "I have every confidence that the Executive Leadership Team and 11,000 staff right across the organization are well positioned to carry the City forward even further.”

Eddie Robar has been appointed Acting City Manager until an Interim City Manager is formally appointed at the next City Council meeting on April 3, 2024. Formal recruitment will follow.

As this deals with a staffing matter, no additional comment will be made.​

Whether or not she's attending that particular UCP fundraiser in her "capacity" as a city councilor seems a bit debatable, but I'm more disappointed that she would do this in the first place, even in an "unofficial" or "personal" capacity.
The woman has no integrity - or respect of all citizens of Edmonton. It's as simple as that.

City Manager Andre Corbould leaving his position​

March 22, 2024

Mayor Amarjeet Sohi, on behalf of City Council and City Manager Andre Corbould, have confirmed that Mr. Corbould will be leaving the City effective April 3, 2024. He joined the City in January 2021 after a distinguished career in senior roles with the Government of Alberta and the Canadian Armed Forces.

“Council appreciates Mr. Corbould’s work and dedication to Edmonton. He has led the City of Edmonton through a very long and difficult pandemic, supported the transition of this council, helped advance council’s work on anti-racism and reconciliation, helped support thousands of evacuees and provided exceptional leadership during the recent security incident at City Hall," said Mayor Sohi.

“This marks my fortieth year in public service and I am proud of the progress Council and City Administration have made in implementing The City Plan, recovering from the pandemic and managing community growth," said Corbould. "I have every confidence that the Executive Leadership Team and 11,000 staff right across the organization are well positioned to carry the City forward even further.”

Eddie Robar has been appointed Acting City Manager until an Interim City Manager is formally appointed at the next City Council meeting on April 3, 2024. Formal recruitment will follow.

As this deals with a staffing matter, no additional comment will be made.​

Last one to leave City Hall turn off the lights, put the chairs on the tables and lock the door.

Hard to know if this is a red flag for systemic issues, or the very reason there are systemic issues. Maybe a clean house is what we needed?

If we stop hiring St. Albert residents for exec leadership, that’d be nice.

Less than two weeks before he leaves? That's definitely public sector talk for "essentially fired/being pushed out"

I think you may be right.

When Adam Laughlin left, it seems the announcement of his departure was only in that two week range as well before his last day - and that seemed to be his choice though. When Stephanie McCabe (deputy city manager urban) and city auditor Hoa Quach both resigned, they stayed on longer than that two week period, however, and it was definitely their choice.

As noted in a journal story, two other deputy manager positions were eliminated last year as part of cost saving restructuring.

Corbould makes top bureaucrat #6 in one year (the exodus started on March 31, 2023.)

I will share this - I am good friends with a guy who is solid with one of those 6 no longer with the city, and this person left due to the dysfunction and lack of trust.

Is police chief next?

Last edited:
I think Edmonton desperately needs leadership from its community members.
I don't know any details about the relationship between the former City Manager and City Council. But if this leads to council being more assertive and independent thinking, instead of just acting as caretakers for management, this could be a good thing.

Back