News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Municipal Elections 2017

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
6 months to go: Transit, development and affordable housing expected to be hot topics in Edmonton election
Edmonton is now officially six months away from its next municipal election, and one political science professor says she can easily see Mayor Don Iveson keeping his position.

Professor Judy Garber said Iveson is popular; he won the last election by a landslide, beating the next closest candidate by more than 90,000 votes.

“He’s been really good at appealing to lots of different constituencies in Edmonton,” she said, adding he is notably progressive, especially on environmental issues that relate to development issues.

“Development is what it takes to be a big city mayor. He does what a mayor has to do – he’s for development – but at the same time, I don’t think he completely alienated his progressive base.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/3382556/6...pected-to-be-hot-topics-in-edmonton-election/

Mayor Don Iveson launches re-election campaign, promises 'innovation corridor' along LRT route
Mayor Don Iveson kicked off his re-election campaign Wednesday evening saying he is “betting on Edmonton” and running to make the city fiercely competitive in business.

“The economy is going to be my top priority,” he said, laying out a new plan for an “innovation corridor” along the LRT line between the Northern Institute of Technology, downtown and the University of Alberta.

Empty offices downtown can be repurposed to provide start-up space and room to grow. Key leaders in the technology and artificial intelligence sector already want to move, he said, pointing to the university’s Alberta Machine Intelligence Institute and the recently announced new Google DeepMind research lab.

“It’s talent driven. … Those people want to be located centrally,” Iveson said, explaining why these must be geographically concentrated. “This is what I’ve heard from the researchers.”

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...-promises-innovation-corridor-along-lrt-route

Back