News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Miscellaneous

So I've noticed work has been happening a the stretch of land on Gateway Blvd North of 34ave. It appears they are finally getting going on this project.
A tiny update. They are definitely moving on this project. Footings have been laid out for a small building as of a day ago. I was going to go back today to get a couple pics but I guess I'll wait for this new snowfall to melt again.

A planning application (map) has been received for a property at 10902 77 Avenue NW.

The application proposes to rezone the property from Site-Specific Development Control Provision (DC2) to the Low-Rise Apartment Zone (RA7) to allow for low-rise multi-unit housing with a maximum height of 16.0 metres (approximately 4 storeys) and Small-Scale Infill Development Zone (RF3) to provide for a mix of small-scale housing.

An associated application has been made to amend both the McKernan-Belgravia Station Area Redevelopment Plan and the 109 Street Corridor Area Redevelopment Plan to enable the rezoning.

Council Public Hearing Date: Tuesday May 10, 2022

Reference File Number: LDA22-0036

Planner: Email Jordan McArthur or call 780-496-2622 for more information

Google maps satellite imagery has been updated for anyone that enjoys looking at it.

1649009305892.png1649009439555.png1649009515260.png1649009626759.png

Finally!! What were the last images from, 2017ish?

Taken April 7, 2022
Anyone know what's happening here? 9629 109 ave
View attachment 391186
yes, actually! well, kinda. i saw this a couple days ago while biking through and when i stopped for photos one of the neighbours happened to see me and they told the story. SO it's been flip=flopping owners since 2017, when the longtime church owners sold it to a developer. to make a long story of absent owners and abandonment and resales short, it's now owned by a developer looking to put housing on each side of the building (retaining the brick building, getting rid of the one house, and filling in the parking lots).
the fence is there to deter unwanted access/squatting (which it is not very effective at, apparently) and the bin is for the remediation happening in the brick building. apparently none of the radiators got drained when utilities were shut off (honestly, how do people own buildings like this and miss that?!) and so the interior is pretty much shot after getting soaked and left for a couple years to fester. The neighbour i spoke to didn't know scope of work on that or anything, I'd assume it was just getting all the mould out, given the lack of solid plans for this building thus far.
anyways, that's what that is. as far as the neighbour (who lived directly across from this, he seemed very up to date) the brick building isn't going anywhere.

yes, actually! well, kinda. i saw this a couple days ago while biking through and when i stopped for photos one of the neighbours happened to see me and they told the story. SO it's been flip=flopping owners since 2017, when the longtime church owners sold it to a developer. to make a long story of absent owners and abandonment and resales short, it's now owned by a developer looking to put housing on each side of the building (retaining the brick building, getting rid of the one house, and filling in the parking lots).
the fence is there to deter unwanted access/squatting (which it is not very effective at, apparently) and the bin is for the remediation happening in the brick building. apparently none of the radiators got drained when utilities were shut off (honestly, how do people own buildings like this and miss that?!) and so the interior is pretty much shot after getting soaked and left for a couple years to fester. The neighbour i spoke to didn't know scope of work on that or anything, I'd assume it was just getting all the mould out, given the lack of solid plans for this building thus far.
anyways, that's what that is. as far as the neighbour (who lived directly across from this, he seemed very up to date) the brick building isn't going anywhere.

I've gone through this area a few times while biking, have never stumbled upon this building. Cool little building though, happy to know the owner has good intentions for it

Question, what happened to the Quarters? I know buildings come and go, but there is a large area that's pretty much barren. There are other areas DT that are similar under developed blocks, but not this many in an area. Even the surface parking lots look like they might shank you.

Question, what happened to the Quarters? I know buildings come and go, but there is a large area that's pretty much barren. There are other areas DT that are similar under developed blocks, but not this many in an area. Even the surface parking lots look like they might shank you.
The long and short of it is slum clearance. To condense a half-century of history, by the late '70s Boyle Street was largely home to low-income earners and minority groups renting out aging pre-Great War housing. The powers-that-be saw it as shabby and dangerous and stated buying up properties to demolish. Couple that with slumlords running their buildings into the ground, and plenty of redevelopment projects that went nowhere, you get what's there today; a lot of people displaced and a lot of history gone.

The Province conducted a huge heritage survey of the community as this was happening, and took thousands of photos of significant properties. I've got plenty I could share, but here's a handful to give an impression of what was lost:

5AIsG_vax8wAV9aWLLwtbrgvdCHRHFPMN_ZRlXHUdf9wLW0QI39A80dB1IJO6BKmN7C6nJEItoZpR2wGy_2mm9d9coQDyg...png
5AIsG_vYT4C16kAYbwnBwrEZ9dECd95Dq-SUJB4GLwTn_hBOO7nyVlMG3lj6QFkdv3JuZs5p2ntVi21CIYIXtYi2xY4_-j...png
5AIsG_vYfPY18-SIoFTm5512G6KTusPEgnRfL-diXJHQ7iYezQScx9gc8YfyO4wDY0Rl0MjNvvQ5DM3mOc_sW9UBTXcLVB...png
5AIsG_vZFG1w_dTXx6wohaxn1V8E--0w4DrdvyXNoUReph3xQEm1MB7c6hVYHDP0Rk91uTUt5jt0GiJ0zw1mpmc7-MPqNx...png
5AIsG_vZIrnnW3Zusn26nkz-MVCCGswn7GxZsn90s3z8NEbeuPkfTpcF5yF7DuQeWCuWLZ9Knl6jK3Db2dHeeA-gX8kpsh...png
5AIsG_vZLfPQ7SOjQvMpLOeuxXodVIF4CosBQh5Ad_8Laqr4_39QqBJcjTubGGH7KfZqcOAJBxnmavNt-aTO9aCoAvva25...png

And here's what it looked like as late as 1965 for comparison:
1965Aerial_Vol11_No195.jpg

Last edited:

Back