News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

Freecloud returns : Following a soft reopening, Edmonton physical-music mainstay Freecloud Records now has its new sign up and is celebrating its grand reopening on Black Friday and Record Store Day — such a great place to buy everything from old C&W records to premium vinyl reissues of all your favourite boomer “rock band” classics to the latest Colter Wall and Scenic Route to Alaska platters. “From here on in there’s no work to be done at the front door,” longtime owner and Mad Bomber Rich Liukko promises after 15 months of pandemic-tangled building renos amid the other lockdowns. Long one of the most beat-up-looking record stores through the decades, the vertical blue bricks and crisp font on the front have not tampered with the beautiful mayhem within, come take a look and grab some rarities.

But what does she look like in the morning...
The daytime pic from the Journal article Gronk posted seems to make it look alright. The gold trim isn't too gaudy imo, contrasts well with the blue tile.
1126_threetosee_2-w.jpg

absolutely love the gold trim and BLUE TILE on the freecloud building. it's so refreshing to see something bold and creative like these colours (given the plague of grey we are currently in the middle of) and the materiality of the tile is so exciting. Haven't seen it complete yet, but I knew as soon as that tile went on i was going to love it. it's something you wanna see up close, touch, experience in person; rather than some cladding panel you want to compare to some lumion render from the rezoning proposal. Love to see small, human-centric details like that.

The daytime pic from the Journal article Gronk posted seems to make it look alright. The gold trim isn't too gaudy imo, contrasts well with the blue tile.
1126_threetosee_2-w.jpg
My opinion went from "meh" to "WOW" pretty quickly once it looked closer to done. Love seeing revitalization of old unique buildings like this.

We will probably see a slow down on a number of projects. I got word last week that quite a few products are delayed or non-existent right now. One major Air Handling Manufacturer has now indicated that his product is a minimum of 26 week delivery. but some of his components that are brought in cannot be had yet. Another contact said if we want to update chillers he cannot give us a time frame right now. and if we want controls he just laughed. I know I have been looking at alternate products because of this.

Hopefully this will continue the movement for passive heating/cooling options and other strategies.

Hopefully this will continue the movement for passive heating/cooling options and other strategies.
problem is that it is not just air handling units. so much material is starting to have long lead times.
paint, drywall, copper wire, fiberglass tubs & shower, literally anything from China right now.

'other strategies' = locally sourced or produced as well.
Its our local manufacturers that require components like dampers that are finding issues. Similar to controls they all come from the west of us. Add to that we got a notice of substantial price increases for most products. Lets just say I spent a lot of late nights reviewing shop drawings to get them back right away. But even then I get a resubmission because the product isn't available. This week it was Humidifiers and roof drains.

And Ian your former boss and I had a lively discussion on the Passive cooling and heating issues in our climate.

Permit Type
Major Development Permit
Permit Date
Nov 29, 2021
Status
Approved
Description of Development
To construct an addition and exterior and interior alterations to an existing Professional, Financial and Office Support Services Use building.
Address
101, 10025 - 106 STREET NW

Permit Type
Major Development Permit
Permit Date
Nov 29, 2021
Status
Approved
Description of Development
To construct an addition and exterior and interior alterations to an existing Professional, Financial and Office Support Services Use building.
Address
101, 10025 - 106 STREET NW

Looks like the Baker Centre. I would love to see that parkade get a reskinning

Back