News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

McDougall Hill Pedestrian Bridge

I swear I read somewhere that the City recognizes this is a missing link in the Bike Plan. If true, I hope that will create the necessary space for a bike-riding and not bike-walking.
They have said that. I'm sure groups will advocate hard to ensure that's included in designs. It's a critical link. It'll help decrease bike traffic in front of hotel mac as well, which is good. That being a MUP is just asking for some rich tourist/visitor to get plowed by a biker.

They have said that. I'm sure groups will advocate hard to ensure that's included in designs. It's a critical link. It'll help decrease bike traffic in front of hotel mac as well, which is good. That being a MUP is just asking for some rich tourist/visitor to get plowed by a biker.
I've heard the Hotel Mac restaurant has great truffle popcorn. When case rates lower, I'm going to check it out and contribute to increasing bike traffic there :D

Neat
FPIJ1viVIAARrJ2

FPIJ8FuVgAEo_7F

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_plans/roads/100-street-pedestrian-bridge

I am not entirely sure of the scope, but my understanding is that it will include some roadworks and a revised hillside component of those rather unsafe spaces.

Curious to know how it might or might not integrate with a gondola station.

Love the design, but the chain link is a bad idea IMO. It looks bad and it's too flimsy/easy to get damaged.

Any bridge railing should be able to support a running drop kick from a 150 lb person without deforming. Idk if this is in the building code but I think it should be.

So first of all I'm a fan of either of these designs and I look forward to seeing this built.

Quick question though, and this is based off of an opinion I read on Twitter a day ago.

Wouldn't it be better to have a crosswalk at the top of the hill instead of one of these proposals. It would cost so much less.
(Again this isn't my opinion)

So first of all I'm a fan of either of these designs and I look forward to seeing this built.

Quick question though, and this is based off of an opinion I read on Twitter a day ago.

Wouldn't it be better to have a crosswalk at the top of the hill instead of one of these proposals. It would cost so much less.
I think the Funicular area is supposed to be a nice sightseeing spot, so I just see this as a cool continuation of that.

Walking along the bridge, down to the lookout, and then along the gondola might be an honest to god tourist attraction - we don't have many of those in Edmonton.

I think the Funicular area is supposed to be a nice sightseeing spot, so I just see this as a cool continuation of that.

Walking along the bridge, down to the lookout, and then along the gondola might be an honest to god tourist attraction - we don't have many of those in Edmonton.
Also, since the Funicular ideally attracts larger crowds than that area otherwise would, it allows for both vehicular and active traffic to flow better since the two aren't conflicting.

For people coming up the hill in snow, ice and slippery weather - stopping at the top of the hill is a not easy and crosswalk with a pedestrian light is bound to lead to more accidents. We do want everyone to be safe and the bridge does just that in addition to its linkage to the funicular.

Back