News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

LRT Safety

This account has become quite popular on social media, it aggregates a lot of unfortunate situations that occur around the Edmonton area. While I do feel like it has had an oversized impact on negative sentiment towards our city, I also can’t really fault parents for example seeing videos like this and thinking twice about using transit with their family. https://x.com/yegwave/status/1736542508425839025?s=46&t=WtcUbUvx-_TEb_qX6iswZg
These sorts of accounts do a lot more harm than good I fear. 604tv, Calgary wildin, 6ixbuzz, etc. every city has them. And they primarily share about violence, crime, car accidents, drugs, fights, or controversial topics/current news. Very much leads to a heightened awareness of the negatives and even a fixation on them vs everything else that happens in a city daily.

There’s always been crime daily in a city, but seeing 3-4 posts a day about it makes you feel a lot less safe. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Much more harm tbh, and it really REALLY contributes to the ridiculous perceptions around transit, downtown and the city in general. I took a look at the comments on Twitter and guess what? Most of the comments and accounts boosting that specific post are from right wing/Alberta separatist (from rural Alberta probably) accounts who took no time on lambasting and crapping on the city as always.

What absolutely infuriates me is yegwave claiming they were a journalist outlet, like bro you get random videos from people and slap your watermark on them. An AI could do that, I'd argue a Twitch streamer has more credibility than that.

CBC/CTV have a vetting process staffed by journalists and you can trust the information is accurate.

Yegwave will post text messages and stuff about incidents and run with them and while it feels like a scoop there's no way to verify that information. "Meth on the LRT, Thoughts? 🤔" Isn't journalism

Last edited:
Trash it may be but the simple solution is to remove people using illegal drugs from public transit spaces as soon as possible. No major world city allows this to go on - transit is not a social service, it is a vital transportation option that has to be attractive to the "ordinary joes" out there.

Those don't look easy to jump!

I hope this happens soon, ETS is losing millions in revenue to fare evaders annually. Fare gates will pay for themselves in about a decade, as they did in Vancouver.

On Christmas I did a walk through of Stadium Station. Fare gates would be very easy to install on the platform ends for the East platform. The West platform can be done nicely, but would require a polycarbonate wall or a metal fence for small portions of the open areas that would not be filled by the gates. I think Stadium would be the most difficult, and most costly station on the Capital Line to outfit with fare gates. I wouldn't be bothered if Stadium Station went without gates due to the crowd sizes that are experienced for football games, but most especially major events like The Grey Cup, CMNT, Concerts, etc. The underground stations will be very simple. I believe the placement of the ARC machines and validators is due to the ETS being predictive of a future fare gate implementation.

I'd be okay with people getting "trapped" once they reach any other station on the line. It makes for easy enforcement, and signage could be made appropriately clear that you must pay. Tapping out of a fare gate would also charge their card, so they wouldn't be actually trapped.

Regarding the Metro Line, fare gates aren't happening on the two Blatchford stations. They are essentially just big Valley Line stops. MacEwan and Royal Alex could both use them, however I think they'd require some rethinking of the ARC machine placements. It's probably not worth the hassle of the gates at Royal Alex, but I think consulting with the hospital would sway anyone. If the hospital staff would prefer it, do it.

Davies Station would be a good candidate for fare gates, along with the two elevated stations for VLW. None of the Valley Line "stops" are suitable. That's okay!

What I'd like to see is the subway stations all have fully functional fare gates, with the Park and Ride locations also having them to prevent irregular users from not paying during events (I think this happens a ton). NFC payment is a must before any fare gates are installed. The city should make it as easy as possible for infrequent users to tap their phone or card while paying the slightly higher cash fare of $3.50.

Below is a smart gate made by Vix. They are the the company behind ARC, so compatibility would be simple. I have zero doubts that these gates could be sourced and installed at a trial station in very little time, for very little money.

Vix smart gate.png

Last edited:
Waiting for a train at Corona yesterday morning when some idiot decided to jump on the tracks just before a train entered the station. Don’t know what he was trying to do but the train had to stop as it was about to enter the station.

Those don't look easy to jump!

I hope this happens soon, ETS is losing millions in revenue to fare evaders annually. Fare gates will pay for themselves in about a decade, as they did in Vancouver.

On Christmas I did a walk through of Stadium Station. Fare gates would be very easy to install on the platform ends for the East platform. The West platform can be done nicely, but would require a polycarbonate wall or a metal fence for small portions of the open areas that would not be filled by the gates. I think Stadium would be the most difficult, and most costly station on the Capital Line to outfit with fare gates. I wouldn't be bothered if Stadium Station went without gates due to the crowd sizes that are experienced for football games, but most especially major events like The Grey Cup, CMNT, Concerts, etc. The underground stations will be very simple. I believe the placement of the ARC machines and validators is due to the ETS being predictive of a future fare gate implementation.

I'd be okay with people getting "trapped" once they reach any other station on the line. It makes for easy enforcement, and signage could be made appropriately clear that you must pay. Tapping out of a fare gate would also charge their card, so they wouldn't be actually trapped.

Regarding the Metro Line, fare gates aren't happening on the two Blatchford stations. They are essentially just big Valley Line stops. MacEwan and Royal Alex could both use them, however I think they'd require some rethinking of the ARC machine placements. It's probably not worth the hassle of the gates at Royal Alex, but I think consulting with the hospital would sway anyone. If the hospital staff would prefer it, do it.

Davies Station would be a good candidate for fare gates, along with the two elevated stations for VLW. None of the Valley Line "stops" are suitable. That's okay!

What I'd like to see is the subway stations all have fully functional fare gates, with the Park and Ride locations also having them to prevent irregular users from not paying during events (I think this happens a ton). NFC payment is a must before any fare gates are installed. The city should make it as easy as possible for infrequent users to tap their phone or card while paying the slightly higher cash fare of $3.50.

Below is a smart gate made by Vix. They are the the company behind ARC, so compatibility would be simple. I have zero doubts that these gates could be sourced and installed at a trial station in very little time, for very little money.

View attachment 530135
Tapping out at the exit is actually not a bad idea and would make it more difficult for fare evaders who I think also tend to be the cause of much of the social disorder and messes on transit .

I have went to other cities where that is done, so it is both possible and doable. There is already security in the stations, so they could monitor that and people would quickly figure out that ETS is more serious about enforcement so the problems would probably diminish considerably, fairly quickly.

New York City's attempts to stop fare evaders. The problem is that emergency exits exist. The video also catches someone piggybacking a fare-paying passenger through the new gates that were supposed to deter jump-overs and crawl-unders.

Of course there is never going to be anything 100% effective, but deterrence and prevention never is. Just because locks don't always succeed in working is not a good argument for not locking your door.

The Urbanist article with the draft report that was referenced is here:

It seems entirely plausible that fare gates for the high floor system would be a 9-digit cost in today's market.

Back