News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

LRT Safety

I wonder if the police and transit security should ride the LRT during the early morning hours and check out the stations, so homeless people can get the help they need.

There are still a lot of professionals and students taking the LRT. The City of Edmonton can certainly do something to improve the perception of safety but without support from the provincial government and, seeing how it is clearly a Canada wide issue now, the federal government, municipal efforts are only diverting the issues to another place or deferring it to another time. I can see on my daily transit commutes that we are failing all of the vulnerable communities. The longer we let this drag, the more people who can afford to use other transportation methods to get to work will, which will lead to a less secure transit system.

A stabbing today at Corona. Another example of EPS incompetence, they aren't even capable of being security guards for major public spaces like the subway stations.

Fare gates shouldn't be studied, they should be implemented immediately before this gets worse.

I'm very sick of mentally unwell people being tolerated at the expense of normal people. All this talk of compassion seems to ignore actual vulnerable people (those just looking to take the train).

Took pops to the hockey game yesterday afternoon.

Both times we went by The Bay/ESQ 104st LRT entrances they had 2-3 people actively smoking meth and totally blocking the stairs. Single ladies were seeing this and turning away looking for another option.

This continues to be FAR too regular, without consequence or reprieve and continues to push regular folks away from using LRT.

Both times we went by The Bay/ESQ 104st LRT entrances they had 2-3 people actively smoking meth and totally blocking the stairs. Single ladies were seeing this and turning away looking for another option.

This continues to be FAR too regular, without consequence or reprieve and continues to push regular folks away from using LRT.
And I repeat, military guy with rifle… move it along crack heads

They have smoked smeth in the train.

Public spaces are public spaces and I'm absolutely fine with vulnerable people being there like anyone else, BUT there needs to be zero tolerance on drug use, blocking of passageways, loitering and any gang related activity.

I agree most vulnerable people are harmless, but criminals accompany them.
The thing is, forbidding vulnerable people from being in these places is at the very least, treating them as a different class of citizens, and essentially punishing all of them because our security forces are too incompetent to actually address the criminals. A harmless vulnerable person should not have to pay the price for a criminal.

Strongly consider the absolute public relations and legal nightmare if officers start just kicking out anyone who looks vaguely poor from transit stations at gunpoint.

There’s a middle ground here by having cctv monitor and dispatch, having turnstiles and enforcement of bylaws. Why that seems to not being done is beyond me.

Back