News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

LRT Expansion Planning

I think the orange line could be a combination of 52/54 (north) and 55/56 (south) bus routes. I think the north route from WEM along Mayfield and 111 Street would be a good connection to Kingsway and Stadium LRT stations. I think key stops could include 100 Avenue/SPR. 107 Avenue, 156 Street, 149 Street, 142 Street, 135 Street (Westmount), 124 Street, 116 Street, KIngsway, 97 Street and Stadum Station. This would provide more of a non-stop route connecting LRT routes..

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right thread for this but, here is my idea for Edmonton's Rail Transit in the relatively distant future. Keep in mind this is after decades of densification and growth in the city. Also keep in mind is this is a fantasy concept, I'm not suggesting this is feasible or even possible but this is what I would like to see Edmonton's rail transit infrastructure look like in 30-50 years.

The lines and changes are in order of most possible to most insane.

Here is the full map:
View attachment 462153
As you can probably see, the goal here is creating connections farther out into the suburbs while intensifying the density of rail in the core.

The Valley Line:
I didn't feel it necessary to include a photo of the Valley Line as the changes are pretty obvious from the map. I just extended it south to Beaumont.

The Capital Line:
View attachment 462157
Basically, it extends south as far as Leduc, including a connection to the airport and also to the north where it connects to downtown Fort Saskatchewan. There will be a number of new stations along the route in the Horse Hill development and other likely areas of development in the south

The Metro Line:
View attachment 462159
In my plan the metro line extends north as is expected in the current plan, with the addition of 2 new stations in St Albert. Currently, the metro line terminates at Health Sciences / Jubilee, here it turns east down University Ave. Then it heads north at Strathcona Yards, which I see becoming a major transit hub with a High Speed Station as well as a stop on 3 different LRT lines. It then follows the same path as the Valley Line but due to incompatibility of the High Floor and Low Floor systems they can't use the same stations and probably not the same track so it would either require a grade separation or follow the opposite side of the road. It then turns west along 98th Ave probably stopping at Forest Heights, Ottewell and Capilano or something like that and continues heading east. Then it has a stop at Refinery Row before crossing the Henday and having a station at Bethel Transit Centre in Sherwood Park.

Festival Line:
View attachment 462160
This essentially follows the same path as the streetcar in the centre of the city traveling over the High Level. This could be an issue as this track is only one-way. Either it could be widened to hold 2 ways of rail travel or some creative stops and other solutions. Either way it also extends south to the new transit mega-hub at Strathcona Yards. It also follows the length of Jasper Ave and then turns north at 124th st. It could be grade separated along Jasper but I think it should be at grade on 124th and turn Westmount and the other neighborhoods along that stretch of 124th into Edmonton's first streetcar suburbs. It turns east after and goes through Blatchford where it connects to the Metro Line. Then it joins 118 Ave where it will spearhead a renewal of that area, which if properly built out could be one of the best area in the city.

The Energy Line:
View attachment 462158
This is by-far my most insane plan. The Energy Line Starts at West Edmonton Mall and heads west, splitting at Meadowlark which would become a new TOD project along the lines of Bonnie Doon or Brentwood in Burnaby. It then heads down Buena Vista and stops at the Zoo and Laurier Park. There is a new bridge constructed at Laurier Park. It then enters a tunnel under Belgravia where there could maybe be a Belgravia West Station? Then it re-emerges and has an interchange with the Capital Line at South Campus. Then it follows 72 Ave and interchanges with the Festival and Metro Lines at the Strathcona Yards mega-hub. Next it heads north and follows the Metro Line for a while along 82 Ave where it splits at Bonnie Doon with the Energy continuing east along 82 ave and the Sherwood Park Freeway instead of going North. It terminates at a Park and Ride at Ordze Transit Centre in Sherwood Park.
This is fun. Thanks for sharing! I wonder if a line going from WEM across the river needs to go to at least health sciences or university though? A lot of people would take that line to university, but trains on the capital line are always full by south campus. So that could become a bottleneck if the west end commuters are all being dropped there and capital can’t expand capacity much more in the mornings. Downtown commuters can use the Valley line, but valley to capital transfer would be quite slow for UofA access from WEM.

This is fun. Thanks for sharing! I wonder if a line going from WEM across the river needs to go to at least health sciences or university though? A lot of people would take that line to university, but trains on the capital line are always full by south campus. So that could become a bottleneck if the west end commuters are all being dropped there and capital can’t expand capacity much more in the mornings. Downtown commuters can use the Valley line, but valley to capital transfer would be quite slow for UofA access from WEM.
That's true, although they could take the yellow (Energy Line) and then ride for 2 stations on the Capital. Or there could be another line added that follows the yellow line but then diverts onto the Capital Line tracks so there would be no transfer needed.

Edmonton Future Rail Map.png

Here is a simplified system map. The shaded areas are non-Edmonton municipalities. Made on Tennessine's Metro Designer. It's very hard to see the station names 110+ stations between the 6 lines. Some areas I think will probably need expansion later on top of this include: A line heading southwest from Terwillegar connecting Windermere and other neighborhoods further southwest. A line that goes across the Northern Suburbs possibly following 137th Ave. If Spruce Grove / Stoney Plain grow enough and there is further growth out that way the Valley Line could be extended. Potentially the Energy Line could head north along Sherwood Drive to connect with the Metro Line and the Metro line could extend out Bremner and later, way farther down the line Ardrossan.

View attachment 462812
Here is a simplified system map. The shaded areas are non-Edmonton municipalities. Made on Tennessine's Metro Designer. It's very hard to see the station names 110+ stations between the 6 lines. Some areas I think will probably need expansion later on top of this include: A line heading southwest from Terwillegar connecting Windermere and other neighborhoods further southwest. A line that goes across the Northern Suburbs possibly following 137th Ave. If Spruce Grove / Stoney Plain grow enough and there is further growth out that way the Valley Line could be extended. Potentially the Energy Line could head north along Sherwood Drive to connect with the Metro Line and the Metro line could extend out Bremner and later, way farther down the line Ardrossan.
In a dream scenario like this one, all I would personally want to see added is my dream Line of connecting the Garrison to Jasper Ave via a stop at Canada Place. The Line would transform 97th street/Highway 28 mixed-use LRT line while still including some lanes of traffic. I have always been a believer that the neighbourhoods alongside 97th street are primed for redevelopment. As well, there are a lot of people who live on base at the Garrison who have been dreaming of quick transit access to downtown.

67EC1FB3-17F7-46C4-AF25-4782D37E6EF4_4_5005_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Regarding fantasy transit lines, a couple of years ago, I saw this one on Twitter which intrigued me. Since it included commuter rail to even Camrose. A combination of the @erudyk_29's vision and @hehhehhyohyo's creation would be a dream scenario for the Edmonton area.

Link to original Tweet

0FBDE2F0-8181-4E8F-B138-9A18EAA36EE1.png

2FC266A7-B398-40B2-A1CB-18ABFCB5B9D4.jpeg

Found myself on a comparison rabbit hole today with seeing the Montreal REM opening.

I like that Edmonton is adding and plans for lrt service to several corners of the city. My concern is that I don’t see any line of sight to some of the better system/technology choices out there (at least better in my opinion). Things like automation, grade separation, and platform screen doors aren’t something we can look forward to.

population isn’t everything but Edmonton metro being about 1.6 million is equivalent to Vancouver in 1991 which is 6 years after their first sky train line opened.

Most or all upcoming projects here are extensions of existing lines (Metro & Capital). Looking for some hope that we might someday see a different approach and technology but where would that be?

Just throwing it out there for discussion purposes.

Found myself on a comparison rabbit hole today with seeing the Montreal REM opening.

I like that Edmonton is adding and plans for lrt service to several corners of the city. My concern is that I don’t see any line of sight to some of the better system/technology choices out there (at least better in my opinion). Things like automation, grade separation, and platform screen doors aren’t something we can look forward to.

population isn’t everything but Edmonton metro being about 1.6 million is equivalent to Vancouver in 1991 which is 6 years after their first sky train line opened.

Most or all upcoming projects here are extensions of existing lines (Metro & Capital). Looking for some hope that we might someday see a different approach and technology but where would that be?

Just throwing it out there for discussion purposes.
Hard to say at this point.

Although considering the planned phase 1 of the Capital Line south LRT, city administration and most of city council decided to cut an elevated LRT Station and crossing in favor of an at-grade station and crossing in order to "stay in budget"/"save money", despite the fact that public speakers were overwhelmingly against the scope changes and wanted funds allocated to the grade separated station and crossing, and that apparently the best they could do is to do a cost analysis on a grade separated crossing at Ellerslie Road which they can't guarantee will happen. I can't say I have too much faith in them right now.

Unless by some miracle they've been trying to ask for additional fundings from the provincial government or federal government to help cover inflationary costs, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up for that.

Hard to say at this point.

Although considering the planned phase 1 of the Capital Line south LRT, city administration and most of city council decided to cut an elevated LRT Station and crossing in favor of an at-grade station and crossing in order to "stay in budget"/"save money", despite the fact that public speakers were overwhelmingly against the scope changes and wanted funds allocated to the grade separated station and crossing, and that apparently the best they could do is to do a cost analysis on a grade separated crossing at Ellerslie Road which they can't guarantee will happen. I can't say I have too much faith in them right now.

Unless by some miracle they've been trying to ask for additional fundings from the provincial government or federal government to help cover inflationary costs, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up for that.
Yeah. We do feel a step behind. But the valley lines opening will also be transformational, and the NW metro will be a big success soon too I hope. But after that, aside from the small extensions, idk.

A few improvements I’d love to see:

1. More legit express/BRT routes with high quality signage, nice shelters, and dedicated lanes. The gaps in the train network can be filled well with these.
2. Bike garages and lockers at stations to encourage multi modal options.
3. Initiatives to grow ridership and target high potential users. I think a program like “first 6 rides are free with an ARC Card every month” could be cool. Could get way more people using occasionally and for special events. Ideally this builds familiarity that turns some into monthly pass users. Increasing usage and safety too.
4. Major upgrades and cleaning to all downtown stations. Better streetfronts, wayfinding signage, sexy lighting outside that looks attractive in our winter climate (see funicular 🙂), modern and maintained interiors with 0 tolerance for drug use.
5. Rebuild the metro crossing at kingsway to be elevated.
6. Safety & cleaning. Safety & cleaning. Safety & cleaning. Was depressed by how clean Vancouver buses were… it’s just priorities and resources. We can do it.

A few improvements I’d love to see:

5. Rebuild the metro crossing at kingsway to be elevated.

Kingsway isn't the only one. University Avenue also needs to be grade separated (probably an LRT underpass), and I think eventually, the Valley Line will have to be grade-separated (elevated) at Bonnie Doon. Unfortunately, I don't think the Kingsway grade separation will happen until we build out to Campbell Road and put a new OMF there, allowing us to the terminate service between NAIT and MacEwan while Kingsway is redone. Same for University Ave. The new OMF in Heritage Valley needs to be done before service can be cut between McKernan and Health Sciences. I think the the University Avenue grade separation should also be done in conjunction with an extension of the Metro Line as a subway along Whyte Avenue to Bonnie Doon.

I think the the University Avenue grade separation should also be done in conjunction with an extension of the Metro Line as a subway along Whyte Avenue to Bonnie Doon.
Except that BRT is planned along Whyte Ave and LRT seems to all but dead in that corridor.

Back