News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

LRT Expansion Planning

With the North Saskatchewan River being designated a Heritage River, I wonder how transportation development will play out.
The future is not friendly for the North Saskatchewan River through Edmonton unless the river level is raised East of Edmonton.

The North Saskatchewan River begins at the Saskatchewan Glacier in Banff National Park in the Rocky Mountains, and flows southeast through the northern tip of Banff National Park and into the foothills where it opens up into Abraham Lake, created by the Bighorn Dam. Between the years 1893 and 1953, Saskatchewan Glacier had receded a distance of 1,364 metres (4,475 ft), with the rate of retreat between the years 1948 and 1953 averaging 55 metres (180 ft) per year.

Alberta glacier suffered record melt this year — but researchers suggest it will get worse. By the end of the century, most of Saskatchewan Glacier will be gone, researcher says

I saw a video last week on the Vancouver SkyTrain expansion and it got me thinking about what a similar train line would look like for the Greater Edmonton Area. Here is my rendition of what a similar line would be. I call it the North Saskatchewan River line. It goes from downtown Fort Saskatchewan to Homesteads in Stony Plain (I'm unfamiliar with Stony Plain, I'm sure there is a much better spot for the line to end.).

Screen Shot 2024-03-25 at 5.06.04 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-03-25 at 4.55.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-25 at 4.55.12 PM.png
    196.8 KB · Views: 2
I saw a video last week on the Vancouver SkyTrain expansion and it got me thinking about what a similar train line would look like for the Greater Edmonton Area. Here is my rendition of what a similar line would be. I call it the North Saskatchewan River line. It goes from downtown Fort Saskatchewan to Homesteads in Stony Plain (I'm unfamiliar with Stony Plain, I'm sure there is a much better spot for the line to end.).

View attachment 551082
Fort Sask is most affordably served by a Capital Line Extension via the existing ROW that already cuts under the Henday/18 street when it was built. It would actually be a very affordable extension per KM because of the limited amount of grade separation needed. A park and ride & bus terminal could be built on the west side of the North Saskatchewan River just off highway 15. This would prevent the need for a river crossing, but allow for bus routes in the Fort to feed the LRT.

The other option is having a transfer platform from electric LRT to a diesel, regional style train at Gorman or whatever the next stop will be called. This would be quite affordable as it would allow for single tracking most of the route. I think this second option could be done for well under $1 billion, including the LRT extension.

Fort Sask is most affordably served by a Capital Line Extension via the existing ROW that already cuts under the Henday/18 street when it was built. It would actually be a very affordable extension per KM because of the limited amount of grade separation needed. A park and ride & bus terminal could be built on the west side of the North Saskatchewan River just off highway 15. This would prevent the need for a river crossing, but allow for bus routes in the Fort to feed the LRT.

The other option is having a transfer platform from electric LRT to a diesel, regional style train at Gorman or whatever the next stop will be called. This would be quite affordable as it would allow for single tracking most of the route. I think this second option could be done for well under $1 billion, including the LRT extension.
I wonder how fast the capital line trains could get going with a big open stretch of track and no stations between Edmonton and Ft Sask

What also might work for Fort Saskatchewan is its proximity to the CPR line (Josephburg). The railroad could take the CN/CP right-of-way.

What also might work for Fort Saskatchewan is its proximity to the CPR line (Josephburg). The railroad could take the CN/CP right-of-way.
The CP Scotford sub goes no where near close enough to Fort Saskatchewan that it would make sense to use it for a commuter route. While it does cross the CN Wainwright sub at at Cloverbar, and the Vegreville Sub at Bruderheim, neither option provides any sort of easy access to Fort Saskatchewan.

Back