News   Apr 03, 2020
 8K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Louise McKinney Riverfront Park

^yup.
LMP has to be turned into something other than what it is now - and I'm not sure what that actually is at this point???
Pickle ball, 3X3 basketball courts, beach volleyball, bocce ball courts, lawn bowling, whatever. Make it a haven for people who want to come down and be active.
Or activate the Shumka stage. Encourage bookings for local musicians, dance troupes, etc. Concerts/performances 5,6,7days a week. Get people down there. It is such a great park. And yet another example of wasted opportunity in E-town.
I honestly think this park might be one of the best in the city.

Landscaping is top tier
Views are better than any other imo
Unreal bridge
Amazing connectivity for walking, biking, transit, and even decent parking that doesn’t feel too intrusive.
Some nearby local retail hotspots (adventure co drinks, muttart cafe, bread and butter, little brick, etc)
The funicular and lookout are awesome.
Riverboat gives unique charm
The river valley adventure co gives recreation options and a nice patio
The stage is great
The art and Chinese architecture is cool
Accidental beach nearby

I just don’t think Wilfred Laurier, Hawrelak, Victoria, Kinsmen (it’s more rec focused), or any other major park in our city stacks up.

But this one could become the untouchable #1 imo if we add some courts (basketball, Pickleball), a playground, and ideally if there was some nice retail and development above it in the quarters (if you leave the park that way it’s a tough contrast to boarded up stores and gravel lots).

Back