7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Landsdowne Centre - 5120 - 122 Street - Redevelopment - proposed

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Proposed DC2 Zone

The first draft of a DC2 Zone is currently being written and will incorporate public input where possible. It will include regulations specifically created for the redevelopment of Lansdowne Centre, aiming to enhance the neighbourhood and provide an active and well-designed urban environment.

Regulations in the DC2 zone will ensure that the planned multi-unit residential buildings include details to help facilitate:

• Mixed-use buildings anticipated to range between eight and twelve storeys.
  • Small-scale commercial buildings (two to three storeys).
  • Enhanced pedestrian accessibility and landscaping.
  • Community amenities and public art.
  • Active urban plazas and gathering spaces.
  • Surface level and underground parking.
Screen Shot 2023-09-02 at 1.32.18 PM.png

Lansdowne+Centre+Render+4.png

Surface parking aside, this is actually a wicked looking development. Please don't value engineer this till it's three plain boxes, Alldritt!

Well the proposal at least develops the south parking lot. Wish the parking lot in front was less strip mallish. I expect Michener Park will be done before the first ground breaking occurs.

Well the proposal at least develops the south parking lot. Wish the parking lot in front was less strip mallish. I expect Michener Park will be done before the first ground breaking occurs.
Since this is Alldritt, I'm almost certain this site will sit vacant for many years. And most of us know there's other sites of theirs that have a higher priority for redevelopment.
There is nothing complicated about this project. The highest building is 7 floors adjacent to two other buildings at 5 floors with a bridging to all three.

Don't worry, it's Alldritt, this won't be built. But as I've said many times in the past, prove me wrong.

With respect to the proposed concept, I would have approached this site differently. I would have designed this to accommodate multiple buildings with the majority being 6-storey wood frame with main floor commercial and some street-oriented units. This would have been arranged around a central main street using the existing all-directional accesses from 121 Street and 51 Ave. This would allow for a phased build-out versus the current plan.

Don't worry, it's Alldritt, this won't be built. But as I've said many times in the past, prove me wrong.

With respect to the proposed concept, I would have approached this site differently. I would have designed this to accommodate multiple buildings with the majority being 6-storey wood frame with main floor commercial and some street-oriented units. This would have been arranged around a central main street using the existing all-directional accesses from 121 Street and 51 Ave. This would allow for a phased build-out versus the current plan.
I'm clueless to this area, so I take your word for it as we have similar tastes. I do this this concept though.

I don't doubt that some redevelopment will eventually occur here, but there is absolutely zero chance the bridged portions are included. That's a lot of additional cost that would be much easier to actually profit off of if the FAR is included in another way (height, increased floor plates etc.). These types of proposal have a hard time working in cities like Vancouver and Toronto, I would be extremely surprised if they could make it pencil out here.

The gas station looks like it will be retained as part of the development which seems a little strange in the overall scheme of things.
lots that had gas stations need to sit vacant for years before they can be redeveloped due to ground contamination, so for the time being it kind of needs to be included.

The gas station is a seperate property owned by someone else
The gas station looks like it will be retained as part of the development which seems a little strange in the overall scheme of things.

lots that had gas stations need to sit vacant for years before they can be redeveloped due to ground contamination, so for the time being it kind of needs to be included.

Back