News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Introduce Yourself

As a newcomer in Edmonton, last week I applied my Alberta ID card. I would like to ask for your experiences that how long you expect to get the card by mail? The government website says it is three weeks, does it really take that long?

Also, I was given a "Application for an Alberta Identification Card - Receipt" with my name on it. There is also "Applicant MVID". My understanding is that this MVID will appear on my ID card, which serves as ID number. Is this correct?

Can I use this receipt as a temporary proof of identity?

Anyone has experience using Arc card? I just tried to login my Arc account and found the invalid password. But I remember my password very clearly. It says "If you haven't updated your password in 90 days, please click here to reset your password."

Does this mean updating password is mandatory after 90 days, and this is why I suddenly cannot login my account?

I am worried if someone hacked into my Arc account. Please help.

Anyone has experience using Arc card? I just tried to login my Arc account and found the invalid password. But I remember my password very clearly. It says "If you haven't updated your password in 90 days, please click here to reset your password."

Does this mean updating password is mandatory after 90 days, and this is why I suddenly cannot login my account?

I am worried if someone hacked into my Arc account. Please help.
Yes, it is mandatory to update your Arc Account password every 90 days. It's annoying but good from a security perspective.

Hi everyone, my name is Marc, been browsing this site for a while and just created an account recently. I've lived in Edmonton my whole life (I'm early 30's now), grew up in Belgravia and am now living in my house in Duggan. Over the last few years I renovated the basement into a secondary suite, and learned a lot about electrical, plumbing, drywalling and everything in between! My dad was an architect all his life (retired now) which got me interested in construction early on. I think I've always had a passion for urbanism long before I was even aware of it - When I was a kid I spent many Saturday afternoons taking pictures of the Capital line construction as it was happening near my family's house (University to South Campus). When I was younger and couldn't go out on my own, I would ask my mom to bring me to a construction site nearby to watch an apartment tower go up 🙂

Last summer I bought myself a new bike and really fell in love with the sport. I've always been a casual cyclist but it wasn't until a friend pointed out my bike was too small, which caused me to get a new one and see what I'd been missing! Last year I did tons of cycling, the tread on my back tire is almost gone already 😮 I also tried out winter cycling this year, which has been surprisingly nice.

After spending so much time on my bike I found a new appreciation for experiencing the city itself, rather than just living my life in my car, my house, and the ~10 buildings/houses I visit regularly. I've always been interested in construction projects downtown, but since last year I've been paying much closer attention.

I enjoy spending time downtown, and while it has its issues, I know it has potential and I want to do what I can to help. I went for a walk around Jasper and 104th a while back after an Oilers game; the streets were busy and every restaurant/bar was filled with people having a good time. It felt amazing to see that and I want that to be the experience for all Edmontonians on any given weekend!

In the near future I am thinking of volunteering at the Edmonton Radial Railway, I think our historical streetcars are a very special asset to the city and it would be a good way for me to contribute to making Edmonton better 😊. I am also thinking about moving downtown in the next few years, I think that will allow me to contribute to the area's success and be more connected with all the new activity in the area. My current neighbourhood is great, but I'm starting to think the suburban life isn't what I really want. Anytime I'm out biking I find myself drawn to the river valley, and busier areas around Strathcona and downtown. In the 10 years I've been here I've used the backyard only a handful of times!

Anyway that's me, thanks for reading. Looking forward to contributing content and maybe meeting some of you in person one day!

Hi everyone, my name is Marc, been browsing this site for a while and just created an account recently. I've lived in Edmonton my whole life (I'm early 30's now), grew up in Belgravia and am now living in my house in Duggan. Over the last few years I renovated the basement into a secondary suite, and learned a lot about electrical, plumbing, drywalling and everything in between! My dad was an architect all his life (retired now) which got me interested in construction early on. I think I've always had a passion for urbanism long before I was even aware of it - When I was a kid I spent many Saturday afternoons taking pictures of the Capital line construction as it was happening near my family's house (University to South Campus). When I was younger and couldn't go out on my own, I would ask my mom to bring me to a construction site nearby to watch an apartment tower go up 🙂

Last summer I bought myself a new bike and really fell in love with the sport. I've always been a casual cyclist but it wasn't until a friend pointed out my bike was too small, which caused me to get a new one and see what I'd been missing! Last year I did tons of cycling, the tread on my back tire is almost gone already 😮 I also tried out winter cycling this year, which has been surprisingly nice.

After spending so much time on my bike I found a new appreciation for experiencing the city itself, rather than just living my life in my car, my house, and the ~10 buildings/houses I visit regularly. I've always been interested in construction projects downtown, but since last year I've been paying much closer attention.

I enjoy spending time downtown, and while it has its issues, I know it has potential and I want to do what I can to help. I went for a walk around Jasper and 104th a while back after an Oilers game; the streets were busy and every restaurant/bar was filled with people having a good time. It felt amazing to see that and I want that to be the experience for all Edmontonians on any given weekend!

In the near future I am thinking of volunteering at the Edmonton Radial Railway, I think our historical streetcars are a very special asset to the city and it would be a good way for me to contribute to making Edmonton better 😊. I am also thinking about moving downtown in the next few years, I think that will allow me to contribute to the area's success and be more connected with all the new activity in the area. My current neighbourhood is great, but I'm starting to think the suburban life isn't what I really want. Anytime I'm out biking I find myself drawn to the river valley, and busier areas around Strathcona and downtown. In the 10 years I've been here I've used the backyard only a handful of times!

Anyway that's me, thanks for reading. Looking forward to contributing content and maybe meeting some of you in person one day!

Nice post.
Similar experience here. I bought a home in Griesbach and lived there for 7 years and liked a lot about the neighbourhood. But I found I was spending much of my time in and around the river valley, going to weekly events like 104 st farmers market and it was like why aren't I living closer to this more enjoyable urban experience plus bonus of the valley so close. So I made the move to central area and even eventually changed jobs so I now walk downtown to work and bike most places I need to go. Was definitely the right call for me.

Welcome to the forum!

That was a great introduction. I actually like Duggan quite a lot, and out of our residential neighborhoods it might be one of my favorites (I love the 1960-70s bungalows and the shallow basements we can find throughout the neighborhood) and I'll go to Duggan Park quite frequently (I find that it is one of the best spots to watch the sunset in Edmonton).

And maybe we'll find ourselves to be neighbors in the near future, as I am planning my triumphant return to DT/Wîhkwêntôwin in August!

Welcome to the forum!

That was a great introduction. I actually like Duggan quite a lot, and out of our residential neighborhoods it might be one of my favorites (I love the 1960-70s bungalows and the shallow basements we can find throughout the neighborhood) and I'll go to Duggan Park quite frequently (I find that it is one of the best spots to watch the sunset in Edmonton).

And maybe we'll find ourselves to be neighbors in the near future, as I am planning my triumphant return to DT/Wîhkwêntôwin in August!
Me too, the architecture is what drew me to the neighbourhood in the first place. My house is a low, wide split-level with big roof overhangs, it seems like they were going for a Frank Lloyd Wright kind of look. I really like it and if I could pick it up and move it to a more central area that would be perfect!

Back