News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Intercity Transit

@jason403 At the current moment in time you're probably correct, but if the way communities grow over time is influenced by being compact, dense and walkable, then I believe that travel by rail could become a great tool for not only transport but economic and social development for the province as a whole

We've never had anything remotely similar to an effective regional transit service of ANY kind rail or bus before so there's no real precedent. However given Edmonton and Calgary's HEARTY use of their LRT systems I suspect that it would be well used if built. Then again we live in a land of toxic negativists who are still delusionally clinging to the idea of Big Oil making a comeback in any original form... OKAY THEN... :rolleyes:

North American LRT Average Boardings Per Mile
On this list? Calgary #3 (8395/mile) and Edmonton #4 (7335/mile) only behind Mexico City and Monterrey and ahead of any other North American system... So really, if you build it? They will come... And ride the rails as it were...
This was super cool to look at! Thanks for linking. Will be amazing to see us jump up in lines/stations/kms in the next 6 years as valley east/west open.

This was super cool to look at! Thanks for linking. Will be amazing to see us jump up in lines/stations/kms in the next 6 years as valley east/west open.
It’s genuinely really pleasantly surprising to me how there’s a large amount of ridership for the LRT despite it being only one line and only visible in select parts of the city, and Edmonton being a city of just a million people. Average daily ridership is a tenth of the city’s population which is quite cool.

I’m excited to see how much of an increase we see from Valley Line. I know it’ll help making the LRT more visible which is a plus.

It’s genuinely really pleasantly surprising to me how there’s a large amount of ridership for the LRT despite it being only one line and only visible in select parts of the city, and Edmonton being a city of just a million people. Average daily ridership is a tenth of the city’s population which is quite cool.

I’m excited to see how much of an increase we see from Valley Line. I know it’ll help making the LRT more visible which is a plus.
I know the UofA has around 80-100k people on its campus most days (pre pandemic), so im assuming that's a core driver. As a student, 70% of my friends took it daily and most others took busses. I'm intrigued to see if a similar effect happens once macewan is better connected directly west.

I know the UofA has around 80-100k people on its campus most days (pre pandemic), so im assuming that's a core driver. As a student, 70% of my friends took it daily and most others took busses. I'm intrigued to see if a similar effect happens once macewan is better connected directly west.
Oh definitely! I was just a student last year and I remember, both via seeing it for myself and the City's data, that the University (and Health Sciences) station were absolutely packed constantly to the point where I had to wait 3-4 trains just to avoid the inevitable packed rush from downtown. If I remember, University Station had the most average daily boardings at around 15,000.

Personally I'm excited at the prospect of how connected downtown and the Bonnie Doon area are going to be in the future once it's finished. I remember commuting to Southgate or Downtown for lunch and other things, and I am confident that that sort of multiple purpose of the train will be more common for the Valley Line as well. I'm just excited to see how it changes the area it goes through since its essentially a massive possible consumer boost to the areas surrounding the line.

North American LRT Average Boardings Per Mile
On this list? Calgary #3 (8395/mile) and Edmonton #4 (7335/mile) only behind Mexico City and Monterrey and ahead of any other North American system... So really, if you build it? They will come... And ride the rails as it were...
In Guadalajara and Monterrey it was more like wait until you can't put another bus on that street...and then build it.

We've never had anything remotely similar to an effective regional transit service of ANY kind rail or bus before so there's no real precedent. However given Edmonton and Calgary's HEARTY use of their LRT systems I suspect that it would be well used if built. Then again we live in a land of toxic negativists who are still delusionally clinging to the idea of Big Oil making a comeback in any original form... OKAY THEN... :rolleyes:
Of any kind provincially? That is a bit of a stretch. I'd argue Greyhound was decent when it was supported fully and operating regularly. As others have pointed out, outside of the Calgary/Edmonton corridor, there isn't demand for intercity provincial rail from a population perspective. I would like to see rail one day between Calgary and Edmonton, but I think it will have to be done by private enterprise and I don't know if I see anyone jumping on that given the glut of large business development that currently exists in Alberta. This type of project was a missed opportunity 15-20 years ago.

A real shame that we cannot take rail from CBD to CBD anymore. While the Red Arrow is a decent alternative, I feel as though we have regressed in some ways.
To say the least. Especially when even talk of rail is verboden, you know the spectrum has shifted to a very narrow far-right focus... Typical... SMH...

To say the least. Especially when even talk of rail is verboden, you know the spectrum has shifted to a very narrow far-right focus... Typical... SMH...
The discussion on hyperloop was pretty good when it came up and rail has been discussed before. It is definitely not forbidden. It comes up in the public realm as well. No need to paint the issue as something that is completely partisan and sow dividing political statements. I think there is good representation here and the conversations are civil. It would be good to not create a false dichotomy/dilemma and allow us all to continue to have rational conversations without political editorialization (largely found on another now defunct site).

The discussion on hyperloop was pretty good when it came up and rail has been discussed before. It is definitely not forbidden. It comes up in the public realm as well. No need to paint the issue as something that is completely partisan and sow dividing political statements. I think there is good representation here and the conversations are civil. It would be good to not create a false dichotomy/dilemma and allow us all to continue to have rational conversations without political editorialization (largely found on another now defunct site).
My point goes beyond the petty politics of online forums so don't take it personally. If you did, sorry. That wasn't the intention however my point still stands....

BTW, whether you want to address them or not the divisions are still there. Pretending they don't is either hopelessly naive or ignorant. Your choice.

Back