News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

ICE District

i am less concerned with “inside the fence” than the fencing itself…

the infringement on sidewalk spaces (combined with the lack of sight lines and visibility) so there as much opportunity as possible to sell signage impedes rather than enhances the perception of safety and security inside and out, particularly when it up 24/7 for what could be 2 1/2 months…

it’s bad enough to lose the public space the public contributed and paid to improve, never mind not even being able to see it or be seen from it.
IMG_7320.jpeg
IMG_7321.jpeg

Edmonton Downtown Business AssociationEdmonton Downtown Business Association1,620 followers1,620 followers
30m • 30m •

Lunch plans for May 5? 🌮

It's the first-ever Fan Park @ ICE District Cinco de Mayo Celebration! There will be live music, and dancing, and you can purchase food from Calle Mexico (lunch) or El Mero Mero Taqueria (after work).

💰 FREE to enter (no ticket required)
🌮 Lunch: 11 AM - 1 PM
🍹 After work: 4 PM - 7 PM
📍 Fan Park @ ICE District (same location as the Ford Tailgate Party)

Note: food is available to purchase and event is for all ages.

So What is Cinco de Mayo? It celebrates the Mexican army’s victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War May 5, 1862.

What -isn't- Cinco de Mayo? Despite a common misconception, it is not Mexican Independence Day.

^^ If I'm managing the Icehouse, I'd be fairly annoyed that my ground level patio, which were once prime seats, are now much less desirable due to that fencing.

i am less concerned with “inside the fence” than the fencing itself…

the infringement on sidewalk spaces (combined with the lack of sight lines and visibility) so there as much opportunity as possible to sell signage impedes rather than enhances the perception of safety and security inside and out, particularly when it up 24/7 for what could be 2 1/2 months…

it’s bad enough to lose the public space the public contributed and paid to improve, never mind not even being able to see it or be seen from it.View attachment 474170View attachment 474171

This is not a good outcome. Will be interesting to see if this actually starts to impact attendance around there.

^^ If I'm managing the Icehouse, I'd be fairly annoyed that my ground level patio, which were once prime seats, are now much less desirable due to that fencing.
The manager at Icehouse was extremely annoyed. At one point the entire entrance to the Icehouse was blocked off. It might have just been bluster, but he was talking about a lawsuit.

Edmonton has to retain its reputation as a city where fun and entertainment in the downtown core are verboten.

@archited I'm not sure if I can blame Planning when it's OEG and EPS who are primarily responsible for dampening the fun.

@Gronk! it's all part of a big picture -- create spaces that need to be monitored because nobody except the nefarious go there and then they become dangerous for all, cementing there outre uses and then we have to work backwards to reclaim them for the so-called average folk.

Back