7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

High Level Bridge

Funding request denied.
No money available right now.
Group to look at private funders to carry on work.

Unfortunate, but not surprising at all given the City's finances, election year, etc. Maybe a corporate sponsor could come forward and provide financial backing in exchange for some outdoor advertising (The Brick High Level Line presented by Boston Pizza!).

Someone posted some student's project that had a HSR train station conceptualized for the end of the current tram line, where ProCura wants to build a new parking lot. For the life of me, I can't find that link on the forum -- I've tried many search links and gone through many threads, but no luck. Might anyone be able to help me out?

Someone posted some student's project that had a HSR train station conceptualized for the end of the current tram line, where ProCura wants to build a new parking lot. For the life of me, I can't find that link on the forum -- I've tried many search links and gone through many threads, but no luck. Might anyone be able to help me out?
Is it this? Unfortunately HSR can't go on the High Level, because the High Level isn't structurally capable of accommodating trains anymore. Its steel superstructure has lost around half of its density since it opened. I could be wrong, but I think this is chiefly because CP neglected its maintenance, so when Edmonton finally took over it, it was in a pretty poor state.

Is it this? Unfortunately HSR can't go on the High Level, because the High Level isn't structurally capable of accommodating trains anymore. Its steel superstructure has lost around half of its density since it opened. I could be wrong, but I think this is chiefly because CP neglected its maintenance, so when Edmonton finally took over it, it was in a pretty poor state.
Thanks for taking a look! Unfortunately this is not what I was looking for, but it might be even better. Ha!

What was on my mind was in a thread that also contained talk about a train station on Whyte vs downtown. The actual post was to someone’s architecture thesis or something. The drawings and render also included how a bike path could co-exist on the west side along the existing lane... and possibly how it would connect to Government Centre LRT station? There was also a little section for a single-vendor food stall just north of the station about the size of 1.5 food trucks.

For the record, this is the ProCura project I meant: https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/database/projects/stables-mayfair

High Level Bridge Streetcar plans to get back on the rails this summer
June 14, 2021 · The Pulse
By Jackson Spring

is it fact the City owns the bridge and right of way?

I've always wondered if it might be possible at some point in the future to utilize that old rail tunnel, perhaps with an expansion, that the streetcar uses under the High Level Bridge/109 St intersection as a pedestrian underpass and connector to connect sidewalks and paths between Saskatchewan Drive, Walterdale Hill and Garneau. I've always hated crossing that intersection and all of it's multiple crosswalks.

Welcome to the forum @ntt1

Is the tunnel closed off now to pedestrians? I honestly haven't passed through there in ages. Maybe that will be my next walking tour and I just might have to go check it out tonight, lol.
I do think it should be utilized as a pedestrian underpass regardless. I'd really like to see this concept proceed, who knows?

You might have seen this, if not, here is their early concept for the tunnel from their website and a bit of discussion on the first few pages of this thread ( again, you probably have seen that!)

GARNEAU TUNNEL​

Heading south, the city quiets down as you feel like you’re burrowing into the river bank. Find yourself deep below Garneau, strolling through the wooded ravine. Enter the historic rail tunnel and Edmonton’s most alluring open art gallery that was once reserved only for train passengers.
From the Garneau Ravine, you can choose to climb to 109 Street or the University of Alberta, descend to Kinsmen Park or carry onward through the tunnel to Strathcona and Whyte Avenue.

High-Level-Line-Edmonton24.jpg

High-Level-Line-Edmonton25.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum @ntt1

Is the tunnel closed off now to pedestrians? I honestly haven't passed through there in ages. Maybe that will be my next walking tour and I just might have to go check it out tonight, lol.
I do think it should be utilized as a pedestrian underpass regardless. I'd really like to see this concept proceed, who knows?

You might have seen this, if not, here is their early concept for the tunnel from their website and a bit of discussion on the first few pages of this thread ( again, you probably have seen that!)
Yes, I had seen that and it is a shame that the concept seems to have been stalled recently. There is a lot of potential with the upcoming separated bike lanes in front of Sugar Bowl/88 Ave and 110 St as well as the plaza enhancements at the corner there, but that crosswalk remains a bit of a nightmare with all the traffic and multiple crossings/lights. Would be nice to have a better sidewalk on the downslope towards the High Level Bridge, too.

I'm not sure exactly where the old tunnel is situated under the intersection but I do wonder if they've considered if it may be possible to expand the space beneath there. Not sure if it's open to pedestrians currently, or just behind a lot of No Trespassing signs. Perhaps the conversation might arise again with the Envision 109 project.

Yes, I had seen that and it is a shame that the concept seems to have been stalled recently. There is a lot of potential with the upcoming separated bike lanes in front of Sugar Bowl/88 Ave and 110 St as well as the plaza enhancements at the corner there, but that crosswalk remains a bit of a nightmare with all the traffic and multiple crossings/lights. Would be nice to have a better sidewalk on the downslope towards the High Level Bridge, too.

I'm not sure exactly where the old tunnel is situated under the intersection but I do wonder if they've considered if it may be possible to expand the space beneath there. Not sure if it's open to pedestrians currently, or just behind a lot of No Trespassing signs. Perhaps the conversation might arise again with the Envision 109 project.
Welcome to the forum!

I've said this previously, but I hope that if something like this goes forward, the ERRS is consulted properly. If I recall right, they were upset with the Hogh Level Society because they haven't been properly consulted about safety concerns related to pedestrians and operating streetcars being so close together.

Back